Part 8

Despite his suspicions, he entered the cave, and lost his breath at what was inside. Where he expected to see a small area where he would need to crouch in order to fit in, he was astonished to find himself in a large cavernous home that was decorated. He was able to stand up straight and he would be able to stand on his own shoulders several times before he was able to reach the ceiling of the cave. Astraea sat on a stool at the back, where a small table stood. She hadn't noticed him yet. Her dark hair was draped over her shoulder, and for the first time, he noticed how long it was. Her braided hair fell past her waist, the ends terribly split off, creating an interesting gradient look to her normal hair. Not normal, he reminded himself. He also noticed what she wore for the first time. She wore black leggings and a faded blue tunic that seemed as though it was a bit small, hugging her neck tightly, but still falling past her waist. She wore a strange black leather jacket that was simple with no special metal zippers, like he had occasionally seen government officials wearing throughout Lighthill. The ones with the flashy bling seemed to be booming in Marahue. She looked beautiful, yet completely able to handle herself, and, slightly, kind of... Scary.

His moment of observation was interrupted by Bridget running through the waterfall and into the room. She took a moment to realize what was different, and when she did, she just ran through the waterfall again. The witch looked up at him and caught his eye looking her over. She stood up, whispering under her breath. But when Bri ran up to her, he could tell she forced a smile. Something was wrong. He noticed a shimmer on her cheek he hadn't noticed before. She had been crying.

Could witches cry? Maybe she wasn't magical, but how is a small cave able to be this big? He was thoroughly confused. Why would Astraea cry? He shook his head. For now, all he had to worry about was getting Bri home safely and away from her. Astraea motioned for him to sit on a stool by the table. He sat there, not wanting to get into trouble with the witch. He listened to her story patiently, though he wanted to leave any moment and was looking for a chance to escape with Bri.