Chapter 23 - Stolen

I dedicate this chapter to @TheAotfreak . Thank you for being a wonderful reader~chan and for all your lovely comments. Thank you so much for reading Kiss of Vengeance! x

Despite the cold and dreary weather outside, the comforting fire in the corner of the room I was in offered warmth for the short period of time till it died down. A small torrent of light eliminated the shadows while the heat turned this freezing area into a sanctuary of warm air.

I rested my elbow onto the desk in front of me, reflecting on the day I just had while watching small and glittering snowflakes, behind the window protecting me from the bitter cold, gently drift down to the ground and out of my view.

My drenched and muddy funeral clothes hung near the fire to dry, and I glanced at them briefly before returning my gaze to the snow beginning to fall outside. Now in much more comfortable clothes that were easier to move around in, I sighed and clenched my fists in frustration.

Hideki never showed up to the funeral.

Without warning, the door to the room opened widely, letting a gush of freezing air through and brush against my legs. I turned around, looking over my shoulder to glare at the person behind me. Faced with the First Prince of Clarence.

He stood up straight, looking proud and I raised my eyebrow at him. "Have you not heard of knocking before, Izana?" I growled and he smirked at me.

"I did, you didn't reply."

"I didn't hear you." I sighed and closed the notebook in front of me before properly turning around. "What do you want?"

"It seems your piano skills have improved." He chuckled and I muttered a thank you, before a somewhat uncomfortable silence filled the air.

"You do remember our contract, correct?" He asked and I nodded before he turned around to face my fireplace. He admired flames in front of him, watching them waver obviously began to calm himself, as his shoulders relaxed slightly. "It's only been eight months, you signed this contract in exchange for your freedom, so you are unable to become the heir of Kalendra until it is finished."

I stared at his back for a moment. "I knew that, I have no interest in becoming the next ruler of Kalendra anyway, that role belongs solely to my brother."

"But the public has been made aware of their princess's return. I can only cover you for the next sixteen months." He turned his head away from the blazing fire and rested them on me. "You will become the next monarch of Kalendra, your father declared so. Unless, your brother chooses to stop hiding in the shadows."

"If that's all you have to say, you can go." I stood up and turned around, glaring at him. His blue eyes remained calm while mine were burning just like the flames in the fireplace. He sighed and then turned around placing a hand on the golden doorknob. 

"You're face looks a bit pale. You should take better care of yourself." He glanced at me with a look of concern and opened the door, slipping into the corridor before leaving me alone once again in my room. I listened closely as the sound of his footsteps began to quieten, letting me sigh with relief.

I sat back down into my somewhat comfortable chair and turned back to the paperwork in the corner of my desk. Dipping my quill into black ink, I stared with an expression of apathy plastered onto my face before dragging them closer to view.

"Only been back a week and they give me paperwork already? I'm going to be stuck doing it in Clarines as well." I sighed, the warmth the fire produced becoming a much more uncomfortable heat.

Slowly, I felt a sense of fatigue wash over me, and my eyelids began to close as I watched the glistening snowflakes outside my window fall down to the ground. I shook my head to wake myself up. "No time to sleep, I need to get this paperwork done."

Then, at my weakened state, something happened that I never could have believed something like that could happen to me..

Hours passed, until it was around midnight, and I still wasn't done with my work.

The sound of a smashing noise was heard in the distance and clear, high pitched scream. These sounds tore through the castle hallways and through the cracks of each door. I stood up, a sense of disgust pulsing through me.

Then, a metallic smell, that was all to familiar with my nose hit me.

Blood..

I refrained from movement, my breathing beginning to become heavier as the somewhat pleasant scent wafted into my room. I growled lowly, realising I had no weapons around me at the current time. 

I'm such a fool..

As an immediate reaction, I looked around desperately for something to fight with, as I relied mainly on my weapon technique, but realised there was nothing to be found. The sound of footsteps began to get clearer.

I opened my door and sped through the hallways, sharply turning a corner to be greeted by a hooded figure, standing in a pool of red liquid. I took a few steps back, as I heard them chuckle lowly.

"It seems the prey has come to us already.." He laughed, and I watched he trudged through the blood until he was two metres away from me. I paused, as he stood tall and watched my every move. I kept my figure in a defensive position, but the hooded person stood still, as if waiting me to make the first step.

Then, they lunged towards me while I was off guard due to the silence, throwing a punch at my face, but I stepped to the right just in time before he could touch me, him skidding in the hall and twisting to face me again.

He sped towards me again, throwing another punch at me but I lowered myself just in time using my feet to trip him over and onto the floor, he realised my attack, jumping over my feet and kicking me jaw.

I yelped in pain, feeling blood begin to pour out of my mouth and I placed a hand on my chin before scooting backwards. I wiped my mouth, its metallic taste burning my tongue. I heaved myself to my feet, agony coursing through my body with each step.

"What do you want with me?" I shouted and watched as he left his stomach open for me to punch it. I dived towards him while raising my right fist, winding it back to ready myself for a punch. For a moment, I transformed all the blood that pulsed through my veins into anger, infusing my rage with strength. In a split second, I shoved my arm forward to his stomach watching him howl in as the agonising feeling of every inch of my power into that one punch shoved him backwards.

His hood fell off, revealing him to have jet black hair while burning red eyes. He hissed and began wheezing while coughing up blood. I breathed and took a couple of steps backwards, hearing the sound of shouts coming somewhere in the distance. I turned back to him, the marble floor being stained around us with blood.

I brought myself to my feet, but soon after felt a rope wrap around my stomach as more blood escaped and dripped out of my mouth. I screamed while watching guards rush through round a corner, a few with oil lamps, others with spears and swords.

I shouted again for help but they placed a drugged towel around my mouth. I tried to scream once more, but the drugs began to work and my vision began to darken as I fought to keep myself awake.

---

Well that fight scene sucked huh?

Yeah, I'm not exactly the best at writing them. I used to be, not really anymore. XD

Well, I hope you guys somewhat enjoyed this chapter. It was a bit gory I'll admit, I hope you can forgive me.