// w h e n w e w e r e y o u n g p a r t 3 //

when we were young, part 3, may 2024

"Daddy!" Tim yelled from the window. He jumped up on his toes, his dirty hands smearing the glass. "Daddy's home! Daddy's home!"

Ashton opened his eyes, rubbing at his headache. "Yeah, don't yell when Daddy gets here, he might be stressed out." Ashton lays his head back down on their old, beat-up couch. He clenches his jaw and rubs at his forehead.

"Daddy!" Tim whisper-yelled.

Ash smiled at how cute their four-year-old was. "Yeah," he said again, trying to fall into a nap.

Michael opened their front door, throwing his bag on the ground and holding out his hands. Tim went running into his father's arms, giggling and screeching as Michael lifted him in the air and spun him around.

"You were good for your ol' dad, weren't you?" Michael asked Timothy as he placed him on his hip.

He kicked the door closed, locking it behind him. They were home for the night and that was the best feeling after two 4-hour finals.

"Always!" Tim wrapped his tiny arms around Michael's neck as he kisses his father's stubble. "I went to preschool today and Daddy wasn't even late."

"Wow! That's gotta be new!" Michael tapped at Ashton's stretched out feet, trying to get him to move over so he could sit.

Ashton opened his eyes in time to watch his two loves sit down on their couch.

Michael moved Tim to his lap, both of them facing each other.

"How was your big school?" Tim asked. He reached up his hands, pushing at his father's nose.

"It was tiring and I'm ready for bed."

Tim laughed, "It's early! Not time for bed."

Michael blew air at Tim's face, making the younger one giggle. He turned towards Ashton, smiling down at him, "What about you, Baby? What have you been up to?"

"Sick," he responded lowly.

Michael looked at the brunette, he did look a little ill. His face didn't have much color to it, his eyes were sunken in. He looked beyond fatigued. "Aw, take a shower or something. I got that bubble bath you like."

Ashton opened his eyes and smiled. He got up, stretching out his arms and trying to steady himself as all the blood went straight to his head. He leant down, kissing his lover, "You're the best." He kissed the top of his son's head before heading down the hall to their bathroom. He was glad to be off daddy duty.

Michael laid down where Ashton once was, cuddling his son into his arms. Tim was an aggressive hugger, clutching onto Michael as if his life depended on it. His life kind of did.

Michael was gone a lot, from school to work to studying then repeating it all again. He didn't see Tim a lot and that made him beyond sad.

He hoped that one day he'd be in a big office looking over the city. He could bring Tim to the office after school and they'd spend time together. He wished for the day when he could be home with his son, just lay on the couch watching movies together every weekend.

Michael couldn't wait for that to be his reality.

Ashton ran the bath, placing the plug. The hot water poured out as he poured lavender-scented bubbled bath into the water.

He took off his hoodie, digging through his pockets to find receipts, gum wrappers, and a plastic bag. A plastic bag filled with coke.

He pulled out his wallet, slipping out his drivers license. Ashton moved over Tim's toothbrush and wiped down the excess toothpaste on the tinted yellow countertop. He poured the powder across the top, forming a straight line with his license.

Ashton sniffled, clearing his nose. He pulled out the red straw cut in a fourth, bending down and placing one end on the countertop and the other hovering over his nostril.

He plugged the other side of his nose, inhaling harshly.

With the shower running, Michael would never know. With Ashton cleaning up his mess, Michael would never know. With Ashton claiming his slow behavior and glassed eyes were his illness, Michael would never, ever know. Ashton figured that Michael would never know.

Ashton stripped himself, getting into the bath and closing his eyes.

Michael rubbed Tim's back as the boy became to fall into a slumber. His fingers ran circles over his son's back as both of their tired eyes watched over HGTV. This would last for years—the two of them mindlessly watching television and cuddling in each others arms.

Timothy was the only thing Michael ever needed.

Ashton joined them an hour later, looking more alive than before. He sat on the end of the couch, his knees pulled up to his chest as he scratched at the skin on his feet.

Michael reached out his toes and padded at Ashton's thighs until the older boy giggled. "What?"

"Nothing," Michael responded quietly, "just wanted to annoy you."

Ashton smiled, looking over at Michael and falling in love again and again and again.

And, that's when Michael realized he was buzzed. "How are you feeling?" He asked, regardless that he knew the answer. Michael knew Ashton way better than Ashton knew Ashton. Michael was book smart and street smart and smart smart. Michael knew everything.

"A little better," Ash said truthfully.

"How's everything going? You're keeping your promise?" Michael and Ashton had all their adult conversations once Tim was asleep, it was like this every night.

"Of course." Ashton stared up at the television, as if he truly cared about which house the family picked on House Hunters. "I'm fine."

"You know you can always talk to me, I'm not gonna be mad."

"I'm fine, Michael. I'll tell you when I'm not." Ashton moved over, squeezing between Michael's body and the couch cushions. He leant his head on his partner's shoulders and wrapped his arm around his son's body. He didn't want Michael to see his eyes anymore. Tim was asleep on Michael's chest, listening to his father's heartbeat just like he did every single night.

"Okay," Michael said, giving up for another night. He knew that one day they'd break, one day Michael would have enough and take Tim and leave. He knew that that day was coming up closer and closer every single day.

But tonight was not the night.

"How were finals? Are you done yet?"

Michael closed his eyes, trying to imagine another alternative universe where he was okay with Ashton, an universe where Ashton was okay. "It was whatever, I've got my last tomorrow at 9:15."

Ashton nodded. He reached up, kissing Michael's cheek, "We should get to bed then."

"Let's just stay here for a few more." Michael liked Ashton next to him and Tim cuddling into his chest. He liked this. He wished it could be something like this forever.

But, Ashton will forever be manipulative and Michael will forever be weak. Forever.  

So, wow, this it. I'm gonna miss these characters a bit, we've been with them since February. 

I hope you enjoyed The Sound, Settle Down. 

I have a new story that was published two minutes ago titled "Like is Too Short to Last Long" which is based off a Blink-182 lyrics. It's book club ot4 and they have kids and Mike is aro asexual and it's lit. You should check it out.

Love you forever and more.

Xo,

Sophie