// t w e n t y - o n e //

21. Do you get what I mean now?/ I'm so fixated on the girl with the soft sound/ And hair all over the place

    Every year, the firm had a Christmas party at one of the partner's houses. Now that Michael had bought out half the firm, it was either him or Calum's father.

    Michael didn't really like people at his house, but he figured it was his turn to host. So, that's exactly what he did.

    A twelve-foot tree was placed in their foyer, silver ornaments and icicle lights sparkling against their freshly shined granite floors. Everything was polished, everything perfect. Michael made sure any trace showing how much of a true slob he is was hidden away somewhere else.

    He knew everyone in the firm wanted a tour of the eleven-thousand square foot house and Michael hated that. He hated going to the partner's houses and being forced on a tour. He really didn't care, he just wanted to eat the mini hot dogs and drink the white wine, that's it.

    Ashton wasn't invited, Tim knew this. It was more than a surprise when Tim opened the door to see his maternal father standing at the doorstep. "Hey," Ashton said, putting his hands in the pockets of his jeans.

    "Um," Tim paused, not sure what to say. "Let me get Dad." He let Ashton in, closing the door before darting off. He was careful not to bump into the hundred-some people as he tried to find his father.

    He found him in the kitchen, leaning against their island sipping cold wine. Michael looked miserable, judgmentally eyeing all of his employees.

    Tim stood on his toes and whispered into his father's ear, "Ashton is here."

    Michael furrowed his eyebrows. "Why?"

    "How am I supposed to know?" Timothy asked, still whispering. He knew his father wouldn't want any of his workers knowing about their personal family problems.

    Michael debated putting down his drink but decided against it. He'd probably need something stronger while dealing with his ex-lover, though. "I hate your father," he said.

    "No, you don't," Tim responded. Michael didn't hear that, though.

    Mike gave quick smiles as he passed by all of his employees, gripping his flute of wine tighter in his hands. He made it to the almost empty foyer to find Ashton standing on their front rug.

    "Why are you here?" He grabbed his ex's arm, dragging him up the stairs.

    Ashton almost tripped at Mike's sudden movements. "I wanted to spend the holiday with my family." Ashton knew that the word family would drag Michael's heart across the polished floors.

    "You knew I was hosting, though." Michael opened up the doors to the master bedroom, flicking on a few lights. He went straight to his closet as Ashton slowly made his way to the bed. "You could have at least dressed a little better, for God's sake."

    "These jeans don't have any holes in them," he responded quietly, looking down at the black pair of denim.

    Michael threw a Ralph Lauren sweater at him, "These employees are making six digits, Ashton. They don't want to see you in a $6 tee shirt from Target." He leant down, trying to find better shoes than Ashton's current pair.

    "I'm a little offended by that." Ashton stripped off his shirt, putting on Michael's sweater instead. It smelled like him in the best ways possible.

    Mike sighed and sat next to him, rubbing his hands up and down his own thighs. "I hate hosting, it makes me anxious."

    "You're always anxious," Ashton responded. He leant down, taking off his dirty Converse and sliding on a polished pair of Oxfords. "Are you letting me stay?"

    "I'm not gonna kick you out," he said, "like you said, we're family."   

    Ashton leant over, kissing Michael's cheek. "Don't just call me 'Tim's father', please."

    "What do you want me to call you? We're not dating, we're not married." Michael rested his hands in his own lap, listening quietly to their matching breaths.

    "Oh."

    "I'm really trying, Ashton." Michael's tone was too serious, his professional persona back on. "I'm not going to take the next step until you promise me that you're trying, too."

    "I am trying," Ashton responded. He wasn't trying to whine, he was just trying to get his way.

    "Show me." Mike got up, fixing his outfit in the mirror. "I'll see you downstairs."

Do you have any pity for Ashton? Do you think he's actually trying?

Do you think Michael's too nice for letting Ashton stay?

Why do you think Ashton came to the house when he knew Mike was hosting? Do you think he wants overall attention or just attention from his family?

Ashton should get a fish or something if he's lonely....,,