Instead of my mother paying attention to me, she continued. "And she is my daughter! MY DAUGHTER! Not yours." She brought her finger to his chest and began to poke. "You didn't bring her into this world after hours of excruciating pain. You or your mother, father..." She began to ramble and my anger rose along with hers.

"Mother! Mother!" My calls seemed to not rise above her rambling fit. I came beside Brett but her full attention was still on Brett.

"And if I want to step into this house, boy! You should god damn let me into your house! I worked for the police-"

"Mother!" I yelled once more, this time grabbing her arm. This time, I wasn't prepared for the slap. I gasped as Brett pulled me behind him.

"How dare you!" He looked down on her and gave a booming voice that echoed throughout the hallway.

"How dare you!" My mom shot back. "Get your hands off my daughter!"

No tears came. No blood came. I was just tired at this point.

Pulling around from behind Brett, I laced my fingers with his as I spoke this time a little more forcefully. "Why are you here?!"

"Don't you scream at me child!" Her face was red with anger now. Brett squeezed my hand. "I'm taking you home!"

"No." Brett's laugh was cold. "I don't think so."

"I wasn't talking to you! Was I?!" My mom shot back.

"No, he's right!" I said supporting Brett wholeheartedly. "I was just sleeping and I feel comfortable here." Felt necessary to add that little bit in for some reason and Brett squeezed my hand again.

My mom's face darkened. "I don't care if you 'feel' comfortable here!'" She took a second to gather her breath. "You can come and be comfortable with me too!"

"Mom." I cringed at myself for saying, mom.

"Tomorrow's Christmas eve!"

"Yeah, so?" I said sarcastically. She never had treated me like a normal child. All a sudden, she cared? What a joke.

"Don't give me sas!" She took a warning step toward me making me step back and Brett step forward.

"I think you've outstayed your welcome!" This made me feel relieved. Brett was so protective and I liked it. I don't know how I got so lucky to end up with him as my best friend.

My mom scoffed once again as she practically yelled, "I was never welcomed!" She shook her head once laughing. "I'm just trying to get my daughter!"

"I don't want to come!"

"You're coming whether you like it or not! I don't care how old you are! How much you hate me! I simply don't care." She paused only to pull the flask out of her pocket and tilt her head back as she chugged down the infectious liquid. Tears seemed to flow down her cheeks as the yelled, "I just want a Christmas!" It was revolting the way she could go from full-on abusive mother to angry, to a complete kid.

She couldn't be back on drugs? Could she?

"I have plans." I had no remorse for her, not any what so ever.

My mom's gaze turned from me to Brett who still had his gaze narrowed at her. Instead of yelling like I thought she would, she began to laugh. As weird as it was, my mother cackled in front of us. "See!" She said raising her flask. Between laughs, she turned her head behind her and repeated herself laughing hysterically. "See! I told ya she would lose her virginity to a good looking lad before the age 15!" Her face was raised to the sky as if she were talking to god before she whirled around in a circle like a total maniac laughing.