ten.

. chapter ten

August sat on the windowsill, here emerald eyes transfixed on the lawn surrounding the mansion. It was still uncut and the shrubs were unkempt with weeds encasing them in an overgrown mess of chaos.

It was four in the morning, and not once did August lay down to rest. Ever since Charles showed her to her old bedroom after the garden, she had been pacing the room, going over her thoughts that have recently resurfaced.

She thought of her mother and how she was supposed to fade away. August knew that her mother's death was a fixed point in time, and that it should remain unchanged, but she couldn't possibly refused her father's command. How has she not suffered the consequences after altering the past?

"You'll die from the task I am thrusting upon you."

Benjamin Moran had said those exact words before stealing August away. She never did die, nor did she fail from returning to her time period. It made no sense that everything went smoothly. August's father wouldn't lie to her, especially about any danger that would be inflicted upon her. So how is she still here?

August tore her gaze away from the overgrown grass, landing on her gloved hands. She never took them off, not wanting to face her body's odd changes. Her fingertips were barely visible, just fragments of her skin remaining. The transformation reminded her of her mother's death.

She began to tug at the glove on her left hand, but a small knock on her door stopped her from pulling the glove all the way off.

She stood, going over to open the door. Charles was on the other side, fully dressed and looking up at her tiredly.

"We're off to Washington," he told her, his hands tightly gripping the wheels of his chair. "I hope you got a decent amount of sleep. If not, there's always room on the plane."

August stared down at him, her eyes suddenly heavy with sleep. Charles could tell she hadn't slept a single second since he left her.

August forced a smile, feeling a tingling sensation inside her head. She decided to ignore it, blaming the feeling on her lack of sleep. Charles didn't return her smile, jerking his head to the right, where they would be heading to get to the jet.

"Would you mind pushing me, love?" Charles asked once August exited her bedroom and shut the door. She tucked her bottom lip between her teeth, sucking in a deep breath as she raised her arms. Charles watched as she set her forearms against the handles that were behind his shoulders. He sighed.

As August pushed Charles slowly down the hallways, he began to inform her of all that she had missed that night. He told her of Cerebro and how he talked to Raven, and about how he saw his future through Logan, and all the while August continued pushing his chair; not entirely paying attention to her lover's words but to how she couldn't even use her hands to touch him -- to touch anything.

"August?" Charles called out, noticing that she had spaced out once she missed a turn on the corridor.

August hummed, turning back around and turning the corner. She yawned.

After a moment's silence, where all was still and quiet, with only the squeak of the wheels on his chair, Charles leaned his head back to rest against August's abdomen. She glanced down at her broken man, almost allowing her eyes to water, but holding the sudden emotions back for everyone's sake.

The motion was swift and unthought of, but it brought back so many memories.

"I can't give you any children."

"I can't give you anything you desire."

"I'm useless to you..."

Having children was something she had always secretly wanted. But if that meant that somehow, her children wouldn't be half of the love of her life, what reason is there to have even one? August couldn't leave Charles even if she wanted to, because she has an undeniable love for him that doesn't allow her to pull away from him. Even when he took her memories away, time had its way with them.

Charles had waited for ten years until her return, and it was undoubtedly the longest and most antagonizing years of his life; they almost seem forgotten now as she stood behind and his head gently pressed against her body -- a body that he had missed too much. Time is slow for those who wait.

August had looked for Charles soon after Raven left, mainly because she wanted her memories back. Although, she was also scared, and that was another reason why she needed him. All the ones she knew to trust had left her, would you be unafraid too? Or would you go out into the world in hopes that you'll find someone familiar -- someone that loves you. Time is very fast for those who are scared.

Charles had become broken in his lover's absence. The misery he felt after losing everyone he loves overcame him, and he allowed it to. He blamed all of his sorrow on his best friend, which only then increased his sadness. For really, maybe it was his fault. He didn't have to allow Raven to leave with Erik, or erase August's memories. He did all of his actions out of the good of his heart, but that only left the bad to stay and make him bitter. Time is very long for those who lament.

August couldn't be any happier than when she was in the garden. To get those memories she was longing for, to know who Charles is instead of knowing of him. Time is very short for those who celebrate.

Leaving Charles isn't an option for August. She never cared if she couldn't have a regular life, all she cared about was staying by his side. That's what lovers do, right? They never leave each other, even if push comes to shove, they stay and bring each other back up. August loves Charles, so much so, that if he asked her to marry him tomorrow, she would say yes quicker than a heartbeat. But for those who love, time is eternal.

Let me know what you guys think of this chapter. Sorry that it's kind of short.

- mikayla x.