two

"so, niall," justin says, sitting in the seat next to him. "zayn talks a lot about you, but i want you to tell me about you."

"oh..." niall's cheeks are still red. "i...i'm not terribly interesting, justin...i'd much rather know about you." to get to know the man who might steal my fiancee's heart.

justin is still smiling at him. "okay, sure. what do you want to know?"

niall sips at his coffee, thinking, and is distracted by zayn shouting justin's name. justin doesn't even avert his gaze from niall, he just raises his hand and catches the soda can that zayn tosses at him. niall cries out in surprise, almost sure that the can is going to hit justin in the face and break his nose, but justin catches it almost effortlessly.

"so what did you want to know?" justin asks, smirking into his can of soda. he knows niall is zayn's and will absolutely respect that, but goddamn, is the guy cute. 

"i..." niall is so shocked. "um...whatever you want to tell me, i guess."

justin shrugs. "i'm 22, canadian, hilarious. zayn messaged me asking me to be his beard. i agreed, not only because he's hot as hell --" he laughs loudly as zayn smacks the back of his head, "-- but also because i wanted to come out to my fans, too. don't look at me like that, niall -- i know you two are engaged, and i'm respecting that. don't you worry. i won't be any more affection with him than i have to be."

"nothing to worry about, baby boy," zayn murmurs, kissing niall's temple before sitting beside him. niall nestles closer to zayn, watching them interact through his eyelashes. they're affectionate but not overly so -- and justin has been nothing but nice to him since he got there.

"okay," he says quietly. zayn and justin both stop mid-conversation to look at him.

"okay what?" justin questions.

"okay, i'm okay with this," niall says slowly, chewing his lower lip. "but...i have one request."

"shoot," zayn encourages.

"if it's too much...if it seems too...real, you call it off if i ask you to." zayn's expression has gone tight -- he doesn't like this request, clearly, but justin shrugs and then nods.

"that's a fair request. don't look like that, zee -- he's letting you pretend like you're dating me so that you can be happy. that's much more freedom than i think most fiancees would offer." niall beams at him for agreeing, and justin winks back. niall's cheeks go pink.

"no, you're right," zayn says finally, nodding. "that's fair. deal."

niall smiles. this isn't ideal -- of course it isn't, his fiancee is leaving him for nearly a year while on tour -- but it will make zayn happy, and that's what it's all about, right? love is about sacrifices, and niall is more than willing to do what he has to to ensure zayn's happiness.

- - -

"baby boy!" it's zayn's voice, exhausted, but filled with delight. it makes niall shiver.

"hi, love," niall responds, smiling. it's early afternoon, niall's just gotten off work, and zayn called him just when he was walking in the door to the house. "how're you doing?"

"i'm good. hey, do you have plans for tonight?"

"...no," niall says slowly, confused. what kind of plans would he have, anyway? it's not like he has anyone to really do anything with other than liam, his best friend, but he's in a new relationship, so he's somewhat off the grid.

"perfect! i have a surprise for you."

"a surprise?"

"yup. i got you backstage tickets to the concert tonight! justin will be there, too, in the audience, to keep you company."

niall is beaming. zayn had promised to get him tickets for one of his shows, but never followed up, so niall is actually quite surprised right now.

"really!?" he gasps.

zayn is laughing. niall loves the sound. "of course, baby! it's been months since i've seen you, i can't wait."

"i'm gonna hug the shit out of you," niall giggles.

"i'm gonna do more than hug the shit out of you," zayn growls suggestively, and niall goes quiet, his cheeks pinking. "i bet you're blushing so hard right now. wish i could see it."

"shut up," niall half-whines. "just tell me when to be at the venue."

- - -

the concert is amazing. true to zayn's word, justin stays with niall the whole time, even lifting the blonde onto his shoulders at one point so niall could see better. zayn even spotted him in the crowd, blowing multiple kisses.

"that was amazing," niall sighs when it's over. "thank you for staying with me...and for lifting me up, too." his cheeks pink while mumbling the last bit.

"you're welcome, little one," justin laughs, noogieing niall. then he takes his hand. "we have another surprise for you."

niall looks up at him, surprised. "you do?"

"yeah, little one. come with me."

niall wrinkles his nose as he does. "what's with the nickname?"

justin shrugs. "you're tiny. it fits."

niall rolls his eyes and flashes his wristband when the bouncer asks, and follows justin down a dark hallway. he's about to ask what the hell is going on when the door opens and zayn is standing there, taking pictures with some fans. his heart is in his throat, and he's about to fucking cry when the fans start screaming justin's name.

"can we take a picture with you both?!" the fans beg, three girls and two guys, so justin and zayn press their sides together and smile with the fans.

"we love you guys!" one girl yelps.

"i ship you two so hard," a guy adds. "kiss!"

"yes!" the rest of them screech. zayn's gaze briefly flickers to niall before he shrugs, grabs justin's face in his hands, and kisses him. the fans scream, but all niall can see is zayn's lips on justin's with niall's engagement ring on his finger.

as much as he wants to scream, to cry, to beg zayn to call it quits right then, he doesn't. he grits his teeth and forces himself to watch, because he knows this won't be the last time he sees this. they're a thing now, and he has to be able to stomach that. after all, he okayed it.

zayn stares at niall as the fans leave. they don't even notice niall, his red, red face and eyes welled up with tears.

"i'm sorry, niall." justin speaks first. "i didn't know they would..."

"no, it's okay," niall nods, sniffling. he wipes his eyes. "i'm glad...it sounds weird and kinda pervy, but i'm glad i was here the first time. it makes it...easier."

with that (somewhat) behind them, zayn reaches for niall. niall shuffles closer, nuzzling his face into his fiancee's neck, smelling his cologne. since zayn has been gone, niall has been randomly wearing his sweaters or nuzzling his face against his t-shirts to smell his cologne, but it isn't the same. he's so happy to be here, in his arms, hugging him.

"i adore you," zayn whispers into his hair, a reminder.

niall believes him. he does, but it doesn't stop the tears from rolling down his cheeks, because he saw something in that kiss. as much as he doesn't want to have seen it, he saw some sort of passion in that kiss, the kind that couldn't be faked. and he knew what that meant.

as much as zayn swore it wouldn't happen, niall was going to lose him.