Chapter 8: I Close My Eyes

New school year.  First day of class.

I was excited to meet my friends again... but I was not excited for school.  School is tiring.  Summer went by too fast. 

I only met Hazel and Mary twice over the summer since I went to the province most of the time to visit my grandparents and relatives. 

I didn’t even meet Ivan and Aaron over the summer.  Yeah, we text each other occassionally but other than that, nothing special happened.  We were all busy enjoying the summer vacation.

Other than Hazel, Mary, Ivan and Aaron, I had no contact with the others so I was enthusiastic to see all of them again.

Mary screamed when I entered the room.  She was sitting beside Matt and we both hugged tight.

Hazel, who was sitting beside Aaron, also stood up and hugged me.

“I have so many things to tell you..” she whispered.

“Are they like good news or bad news?” I asked her curiously.

“Bad news for me.  I couldn’t contact you while you were in the province!  So many things happened over the summer!” she complained.

“Well, you can always tell me about them later.” I said as I winked at her.

Then, I glanced at the entire classroom.  Pretty much, my classmates were still the same.

My eyes landed upon Aaron.

“Aaron!” I screamed excitedly.

“How over-acting...” he stated calmly.

“Why are you sitting next to Hazel?” I whined.

“You’re so selfish... You’ve already had your taste of me last year.  How about you share me to others?” he teased.

“But I want more!” I teased back.

“Is this how you guys normally talk to each other?” Hazel asked with amusement.

I laughed as I sat at an empty chair in front of Mary and Matt.  The seat next to me was still empty.

“This seat right beside you will be reserved for Ivan.  He hasn’t arrived yet.” Matt teased.

“It would be awkward to sit beside Ivan in class... and besides he likes being near the window.” I remarked.

“Nah, he’d choose you over the window... I’m sure of that.” Matt exclaimed.

I glanced at Mary awkwardly.

She smiled at me and tapped my shoulder as if saying it doesn’t matter anymore.

I sighed aloud.

A few minutes later, Ivan casually entered the room.

“Good morning, Ivan!” Aaron screamed.

“Shut up.”

Aaron frowned at him.  “You haven’t changed at all...” he remarked.

Ivan stopped at the seat next to me.

“Good morning, Julie.” He greeted.

All of my classmates screamed.

Sigh.

“Good morning, Ivan.”

“I would love to sit next to you but I’m afraid I can’t concentrate if that happens and I don’t want to make you feel awkward.” He whispered.