Part 12

I realized just how exhausted I really was. I felt completely drained and soon, the blackness pulled me under. I thanked the moon goddess that all it was was blackness. There were no dreams, flashbacks, or nightmares. It was completely blank and I reveled in it. It was my break from all of the heartache and torture that consciousness brought and I welcomed it with open arms.

I was utterly disappointed when I woke up to a loud crash but quickly that melted away when I thought of what it could be. I stood up quickly in panic with much protest from my body and went back into the bathroom to hide. I didn't know who or what was that crash but I didn't want to find out. I could hear shouting and a loud growling but I just cowered in the bathtub. I could imagine that the commotion was Damien comprehending that he was being stripped of his title. I heard it was a very painful and demeaning process.

Pretty soon the door was broken and pieces of wood were flying everywhere. I looked up to see Damien's eyes filled with fury. His eyes scoured the small bathroom until they zeroed in on my. I could see all of the hate, the anger, the malevolence directed at me. "YOU!" He growled and launched at me. I screamed as I ducked causing him to hit the back wall and fall on top of me. He groaned as I pushed him off but as I tried to get out, he grabbed my leg with his claws, puncturing my leg.

"I'M GOING TO FUCKING KILL YOU!" I didn't have time to think about my pain or the fear. I was fighting for my life and instead of cowering in the corner and letting it happen, I was going to fight. I jumped on top of his stomach knees first. He groaned but punched my cheek for the second time.

My head cracked to the side but I didn't let it knock me down. I pulled back and my hands weaved into his hair and slammed his head back on the tub causing him to growl. His sharpened teeth latched on to my arm making me cry out. I could feel his teeth sink into my muscle and shake it a bit. I launched my fist at him and clocked him directly in his eye. He finally let go thankfully but he grabbed me and slammed me down while he got on top of me.

He gripped my throat in both of his hands and started to squeeze. I scratched at his hands and tried to reach his face but to no avail. Spots started dancing across my vision and blackness started seeping around the edges. I still fought but deep down, I accepted it. I knew that it was my time to go and as much as it bothered me to be taken out by Damien, to let Damien finally win, I accepted it. I think it would've always been him.

At least, if he killed me, the Elders were sure to kill him. I guess that would have to be my revenge. He took me out but in the process, he sealed his coffin as well. I didn't see my life flash before my eyes or a light. In fact, it was quite the opposite with the darkness and all but I did picture the first time I saw Gerard. I could see him in all of his glory and I smiled, or at least meant to.

In that moment, I understood just how much I cared for him, loved him. We had only known each other for such a short amount of time but I truly cared. At least if I died right here and now, I wouldn't be such a burden and I could say that I had loved. No matter how small the timeframe, I loved someone and I at least knew they cared for me. This was ok because I would be at peace, Gerard would move on, and Damien would be in hell. I felt a calmness sweep over my body and I accepted that this was my fate.

Just as the black took over, his hands were gone and I could hear yelling. I slouched over coughing, my body trying to get as much air in as it could. I was disappointed that I wasn't just let to die. I was ok with everything. I knew that it was for the best but the moon goddess just wouldn't give me a break. I could hear Damien yelling and growling but his voice started to fade as someone was taking him out of the room. "Scarlet! Are you ok?" I could hear Sheila's frantic voice next to me.

Suddenly, I was picked up and held against a hard body. I could feel the sparks and I knew it was Gerard. "You're ok. He's gone." He continued to rub my back and whispering calming words until my breathing was more stable. "I'm sorry." I whispered in my now raspy voice. He cupped my face and forced me to look at him. My eye was swollen shut but I could see his pained face clearly. "Why? Why are you sorry?"

I swallowed and wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him. "Because you deserve someone better. Someone that isn't so worthless and broken. Someone you don't have to follow around to make sure they're ok. Someone beautiful." I could feel him tense as I spoke but I knew that my words were true and he should know that.

He pulled my arms down and looked at me seriously. "I'm here for you because I actually care, ok? We'll talk about this later but right now, you have to get checked out." I nodded and stood up to look at Sheila. She immediately started tending to my torn arm. She stitched and bandaged it up before working on my leg.

When she was all done, she gave me a hug. "I am so sorry. When the Elders got here, they stripped him of his Alpha title and he ran straight here to get to you. They have him on a heavy dose of wolfsbane and tranquilizers now so there is no way that he can get to you." I nodded but I hadn't really been worried.

She gave me a pain shot before saying "The Elders want to talk to you." I nodded and let her lead me to them with Gerard in tow. I didn't really want to talk to them but I figured that it was protocol. The Elders were very by-the-book and I could understand that but I didn't want to talk to anyone. I just wanted to be with Gerard and the revelation that I love him. We walked into Damien's office to see five people, all waiting. I looked around and noticed there were three men and two women. They were each extremely beautiful and air of superiority permeated the room. I don't know what I expected but they didn't disappoint.

They each watched me as I came into the room, never looking away. A shudder ran through my body at what they would have to say or what they would want from me. A man stepped forward and nodded toward Sheila. "Gerard, we need to speak with Scarlet alone." The man said looking behind me at Gerard. I looked back at him and I could see the inner battle as he looked at me. "I'll be ok." I said quietly. I could see the apprehension on his face but he nodded and left the room. I didn't really want him to leave and my wolf was throwing a fit. I could feel her whining and pacing back and forth but I couldn't just insult the Elders by bringing him back in here or leaving altogether. I sighed in defeat.