Part 9

I must've somehow fallen asleep because I woke up to someone picking me up. I started to struggle even against the calming shushing attempts coming from the man carrying me. "Scarlet." I realized it was Gerard and instantly my arms found their way around his neck. He allowed me to wrap my legs around his waist and cling onto him as he walked somewhere. With my head buried into his neck, I didn't see where he was taking us. I didn't care either. I just wanted his warmth. I wanted to feel comfort and safety and only he could give that to me.

We eventually ended up in a bedroom because he sat on a bed. I finally looked up and realized we were in one of the empty rooms that Damien keeps for guests or new pack members. I was confused at first but then I realized Damien must have given Gerard his own room. This realization immediately saddened me. Damien was trying to pull us apart, starting with giving Gerard a separate room even though he slept with me. I was already down but this made me feel lower that the dirt.

Gerard continued to rub my back and shush me to help relax me. In that moment, I kept thinking about leaving. I am an omega, why not just become a rogue? Follow in my parent's steps and just live on my own. Gerard would be better off. He could focus on making something of himself in the pack rather than have me dragging him down. He said it himself, we were only temporary mates. Maybe after some time, the bond would just fade away. He'd be better off without me. He's using all of his energy to look after me instead of getting to know his new pack members and finding a job or a place in the pack.

After a while of realizing what I had to do, I pulled myself away from Gerard and stood up. "What are you doing?" His voice was light but I could hear the underlying worry. "I'm going to sleep in my room tonight." I avoided his piercing eyes as I spoke. I wouldn't follow through if I looked into his eyes. "Ok, I'll come with you. Although, I must warn you that the door is broken." He chuckled. I just wanted to surrender but I fought against the bond. "No, I want to be alone. You stay here."

As soon as the words were out of my mouth, he was on his feet and the playfulness that was plain on his face fell away. "What are you talking about?" The hurt was clear. I hurt him. "I just want to be alone tonight. A lot has happened and I need time to process it, ok?" I pushed the irritation into my voice to make it seem like he was a problem.

He didn't ever deserve it but I had to make it seem like I needed to be away from him. If I broke down right there, he would never leave me alone. He stared at me for a few minutes before finally dropping his head in a nod. My heart broke seeing him so sad but I need to do it. I wanted to stay and be with him for the rest of our lives but I knew that I am just a complication.

I'll forever be surrounded by drama. Not only that, I'm broken. He deserved someone better, someone he wouldn't have to follow after making sure they wouldn't break down any two seconds. "Night." The word left my lips as I started my way back toward my room.

When I was close enough, I realized that Gerard was right; my door was incredibly broken. It was in pieces all over the floor. I carefully avoided them as I grabbed my old, ratty sneakers. I grabbed hand-me-down jeans and a shirt. I changed in the bathroom and packed the little clothing I did have in a backpack. I saw that it was already ten at night. I decided to wait until midnight to leave. I didn't want to run into anyone as I was leaving. I put my backpack in the tub in the bathroom until I left.

When I went back into the bedroom, Damien was sitting on the bed. It was annoying that he was always doing that to me. "Sheila told me about your visit." His words made my blood run cold. What would he do? Surely he couldn't do anything knowing the Elders would come. Or would he? He could kill me. He was going to be denounced anyway. "She said that you wanted a checkup."