SIX

✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪

SIX; TO FORKS WE GO

PENELOPE WALLOWED IN HER BED until Jake came home. Instead of scolding her for leaving school early, the youngest sibling sat by her side, stroking her hair softly. "I remember when you liked this guy in our grade when you were nine. Everyone adored him, and it was completely moronic because he was nothing but a cocky son of a bitch."

Penelope sniffled, digging her head deeper into the crook of her elbow. "You have a point, Jake?"

"Everyone loves Joy, Penelope. She knows exactly how to twist and manipulate your mind. You can't blame Jared for kissing her. It was before he met you, and now, you're the only one he wants. I swear on my life that Jared would've never kissed her if he had known you existed."

"So why did he kiss me?" She asked innocently, peering up at him. "Because he liked me or because he needed a different girl and I was fresh bait?"

"I think you know the answer to that, Penny."

Penelope fiddled with the sheets of her bed, trying to avoid Jake's gaze. He was obviously attempting to mend the relationship between his pack member and sister. After Jared didn't return to school, the whole pack went on a search party to look for him. They found him at Emily's, drowning his sorrows in multiple chocolate chip muffins.

"I just need some time away from him," Penelope whispered. "Am I not allowed to have that anymore?"

Jake placed a kiss on her head. "Of course you are, Penny. I'll go tell him, okay?"

Her brother left her to her own thoughts, and she sighed in exasperation. Penelope didn't even know how her schedule ran without Jared. Ever since she left the hospital, the boy had been glued to her side.

When Billy came home, he was disheartened to see his daughter in such an unhappy state. "Penelope, what happened?" He asked, wheeling into her room.

"Boys have cooties," she whispered harshly. "I should've remembered that."

Billy sighed. "Listen, Pen, whatever happened with Jared-"

"Whatever happened with Jared hurt me," she responded sternly. "And I won't enter those halls ever again."

Billy shook his head, knowing he would now have to find some way to put Penelope's life back on track.

✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪

"You can't."

"It's the only way to get her back in school, Jake. She's really torn up after what happened with Jared. I'm just trying to make your sister happy again."

Jake growled. "She won't be happy once she's dead! Those bloodsuckers will somehow grab ahold of her and completely tear her in two. Is that what you want?"

Billy huffed, turning his wheelchair around to slam into Jake's legs. "I want my daughter back. I know you remember how happy Penelope was when she was younger, how happy your mother made her. I would do anything to see a glimpse of that Penelope back in my life again and if that means sending her to Forks, then so be it."