First Doctor's Appointment

Start from the beginning

Just the thought of moving makes me want to vomit. Sure will miss this place though, still feels like yesterday when I moved in. I looked around a little more and something I was missing caught my eye. Squinting my eyes to make sure that it was the object I wanted and it was, I squealed with happiness.

Placing the photo album on my knees I dusted it carefully with my hands. I have been looking for this for a while, it's the first year of our relationship. Every photo for that whole year is bundled inside this one book. With my big grin, I opened it carefully and saw the first snap of the two of us that we had taken, it was on my phone but we had saved them all and had our favourites printed out.

As I turned the pages slowly, the bigger my smile became and a few tears also decided to fall in the process. I laughed when I came across the one of Matty and me at his parent’s house for Christmas day. It was hot so we were both in our swimsuits, poor Matty had fallen asleep out in the sun and was burnt like a lobster. He was so red his skin matched the Santa hat I dressed him in, my poor baby was very sore for a while after that.

I turned a few more pages before I stopped, my smile dropped and I gazed down at the picture with sadness and hope. I skimmed my fingers softly across the ultrasound, over the outlines of our first baby. I was ten weeks at that stage, both Matty and I both trying to stay as positive as we can. With today’s appointment, we get to hear Bub’s heartbeat, that moment we have been dying to hear since I took that test.

"Summer!" Matt said as he clicked his fingers in front of my face, which snapped me back. I quickly swiped the tear away and smiled up at my hubby before I closed the album.  Matty had seen what I was looking at because er carefully stood me up and wrapped me in his arms. We stayed like that for about a minute before pulling apart.

"I've been calling you for a couple of minutes, we have to leave for the appointment." I must have been looking through that album for like an hour, it didn't even feel like it was that long.

"Well then, let's get going." I smiled up at him and went to collect my handbag from the kitchen. The drive to the doctor's clinic was a quiet one, both of us in our own world of thoughts. I just hope that everything is ok with the baby. 

Matt and I were called into Dr. Baker's room. I was handed a cup to pee in, and had some blood taken, for some tests, to make sure my body was functioning well enough for the baby. My weight was taken, blood pressure, temp, all that stuff, so they can keep track of it throughout the pregnancy.

"Well Summer, looks like you are pregnant, do you know the date of your last period?" Dr. Baker asked me, while Matt held a firm grip on my hand.

"Yeah, it was the 28th of September." I smiled, that day I won't forget in a hurry, coz I snatched up the best man in the world, by marrying him.

"Alright, let me just calculate your baby's due date." he gave us a warm smile, then proceeded to type on his computer. I looked over to Matt, he looks so happy right now, I nearly want to cry.

"Ok, looks like the 5th of July is the day, and you are currently eight weeks and four days along, but keep in mind that only 3 to 5 % of babies are born on their due dates. So think of it as an estimate, so really, any time around then, and your baby will be here." he smiled again and typed some more. This is finally happening, it's confirmed, a few more important steps to take and this is one of the biggest, listening to the heartbeat.

"Summer, can you hop up on the bed, and let's find this little one’s heartbeat." he grabbed his doppler as I moved to lie on the bed, with Matt by my side, still holding my hand. He gave me a kiss and sat on the stool next to the bed and waited with me. Dr. Baker lifted my shirt up and pulled my track pants down to my pubic line.