Conflict 21: Magic

"Anyway" She cleared her throat and tapped the notepad with her pencil "Anything else?"

"Nah" Alfred and Mathias stood up and grabbed their jackets "Mathias and I are gonna go play some basketball"

"Just the two of you?"

"No, Lukas' little elf friends are gonna come and play too" The Dane joked while Lukas glared at him. Name rubbed the Norwegian's back in an effort to comfort him.

When the tall blondes finally left, Arthur asked "Name, I just remembered that I have nothing to do this evening. Maybe you want to come by my house and take a look at more of my books?"

Lukas interrupted them "Nothing? I thought that Adam and I are supposed to come over to discuss about that new book?"

Arthur shot the other man daggers but reassured the young woman "You could still come"

"I-I don't know."

"It's fine, really! And if they mind then I'll send them away"

"Um" She glimpsed at Lukas who just nodded then back at Arthur "Okay, I guess"

***

Ding-dong.

Name waited patiently for a couple of minutes, ignoring the instinct to escape from all the yelling she was hearing from inside.

Finally, after sometime, one of the mahogany double doors creaked open but instead of Arthur it was a stranger with a top hat and large trench coat—although she thought that she must've seen him somewhere.

"You must be Name" He said with a Romanian accent. The Italians' Welcome Party, she thought that there's where she must've spotted him.

"Yeah, I heard that there were two others coming, Lukas and—

"Adam" They shook hands "Come in"

"Thanks"

"They're in the basement"

"Woah, wait, basement?"

"Actually it's more like a separate chamber hidden in the library but it looks a lot like the basement"

"Oh."

They made their way to the library where Adam removed a few books off a shelf at the West side of the room and rearranged them. Once he placed the last book the shelf slid to the side, revealing a secret entrance.

"Wow" Name's eyes widened. She was impressed and amazed "It's like something out a mystery movie"

"I know. Cool, right?" He said as he led her down the tunnel.

"So Adam, I hear that you guys are going to talk about this book. Mind if I ask what it is?"

"It's called the Enchiridion of Dantalion" He replied, "It holds one of the most ancient secrets of magic"

"When you say Dantalion, are we talking about the 71st spirit of Solomon?"

"Yes, you know about him?"

"I've read about him once or twice. He's a Great Duke of Hell who teaches all art and sciences, right?"

"That's correct—We're here" He swung open a heavy-looking door with an old-fashioned metal bolt.

Inside was a spacious room with more stacks of hefty hard-bound books scattered about. The brick walls were lined with glass cabinets with jars of all shapes and sizes containing who-knows-what substances.