|18| An Ice Cream and an Attack

Victoria's P.O.V:

I hear the crunching of leaves beneath my feet and breathe the scent of pine trees in as I walk alongside Olivier. He's honestly, the quietest person ever. Something tells me that he's worried about something but I don't dare ask why because that'd be unfair. He knows I'm upset and he never asked me about that since the fifteen minutes we've been walking together. If he can respect my problems then I should reciprocate. We have been talking about pets and the woods but nothing substantial, which bothers me.

"You don't have to come along just because I'm in a bad mood."

"I want ice cream too so..." he trails off with a smile and I nod, both of us smiling like kids. He's really nice if you ignore the fact that my brain keeps yelling at me to run. Seriously, why should i run from him?

"I used to play in that playground when I was a kid." He points at the kids' playground ahead of us and I smile, imagining him as a kid with violet eyes and brown hair.

"I'm getting a cute picture in my head" I confess and he shakes his head as if trying to focus on something.

"Catherine used to drag me here every day even after I was in school so I used to reach home, throw my bag on the bed, change my clothes and run here with her without even eating my lunch."

"That's evil of her." I grin."I'd never make my brother miss out on his lunch for me.

"That's Catherine though...She begged me and you just couldn't say 'no' to her, you know? With those eyes and all" he gives me an embarrassed smile and I nod, wondering how lucky Catherine is to have somebody love her that much. I've only ever dreamt of somebody looking at me like Olivier looks at Catherine and I know that's never going to be a reality so it just makes me kind of jealous of her.

"I had my mom take me to the ground when I was little. She uh...She dropped me off and I usually played by the trees so nobody would see me and when she came, I'd pretend I was playing with a group of those kids." Those horrible kids who told me I was a freak and forced mum to change houses so much.

"Those kids didn't like you?"

"Not really, no." I confess and he nods, even though I know he doesn't understand why. I hope he never understands that.

"So you're still like that? Wary of attention?"

"You could say that."

"Yet you play Bianca in that wretched play." He gives me a curious look and I nod. I know what he's doing- trying to make me feel better about myself.

"Yeah, I think it's high time I break out of that shell, you know?"

"I understand that." He gives me a look of pure understanding as I see the grocery store in the distance. Why did I just tell him all that though?

"Ice cream is near," I grin and he stares right into my eyes, making me shake my head in response. I don't like his hold over me. It's-it is not good for me. He doesn't see who I am! He sees who I'm trying to be.

"Can I ask you something weird?"

"Sure." I can't look away but I'm glad he wants to keep talking. It's like a disability that comes over me, each time I look into those eyes of his. I am transfixed but my brain tells me I'm doing something wrong. Why should just looking at Olivier be wrong?

"Can I kiss you?"

"Why would you want to do that?" I laugh nervously. This is not what I planned. He doesn't say anything but simply nods, snapping his eyes away from mine. For some unknown reason, I feel his anger reverberate inside me. Am I reading into his aura again? I should stop. Right now.

"Are you coming?" I smile at the clearly angry face. Why is he angry?

"No, I uh-"

"Come on, stop being a drama queen." I roll my eyes, grabbing his hand. I feel the numbness creep up my palm and my arm but I don't let go as I pull him. He stays fixed in his place like a stone, looking at my hand as if it's some cockroach.

"Move your ass." I pull harder but he simply laughs at me.

"Stop pulling me and I might consider that."

"You're weird, come on," I don't let go and he laughs harder.

"Your doing this is like pulling a ship with your bare hands."

"I'll try until the stupid ship moves then." I laugh along with him and keep pulling. It would be funnier if I didn't actually feel dizzy and sick though. After an eternity of trying to move him, he laughs and gives in, allowing me to pull him with me into the store, clearly happier than before.

"Don't ever show that vamp strength to me again."

"Yes your majesty." Olivier gives me a fancy bow and I blush because a few shoppers stare at us. Heading straight for the ice creams, I ask him which one he wants and because I get a shrug.

We talk while we hog ice cream and laugh at each other for having an ice cream moustache. It's the most fun I've had in a long time so I don't spoil that by bringing anything serious up although I know that his thoughts keep wandering off with that far off look in his eyes whenever we are silent.

"You sure you won't fix yourself like a statue on the street?"

"That was one time, Victoria." He assures me and nodding, I head out into the night with him. It isn't uncomfortable or awkward even after I had not kissed him back there

"Can I tell you something?"

"Yeah"

"This was the longest period of time I spent without thinking about mom." Again, I have no clue why I said that to him.

"I'm glad for that if it is a good thing."

"It is a good thing, Olivier." I laugh but suddenly feel a burning at the base of my skull as my legs buckle beneath my weight. I don't feel the fault but I feel the humiliation. I know what this is and I scan the area to find somebody like me present nearby.

"Victoria?" Olivier reaches for me but holding my hand up, I try getting up on my own. "Stay away from me, whoever you are", I project outward with a blast of power, making Olivier wince.

"You alright?"

"Of course. Sugar high." I lie and he doesn't ask me but I know he heard my telepathic voice. The humiliation and anger intensifies within my chest as I look around myself. Who would dare attack me like that....and why me? I'm sure I'm not the strongest of my kind around.

Interlaced (On Hold)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara