Part 7

They sat behind the blank monitors in the sun, waiting for the others to come back from lunch. It was quiet, save for the traffic, the laughter that wandered from the park boundaries, and the chatter of the crew. She was sat against the roots of a tree, and he was leaning into her, arms strung about her shoulders.
"Sally" she whispered softly in his ear that sat before her gentle lips, "I need to talk to you."
He sat up slightly, and looked at her, trying to read her face, before deciding to pull his close to hers and plant a kiss on the tip of her delicately pointed nose.
"Sal, I'm serious" she said, pulling away slightly. "You need to hear this"
"Later" he whispered in her ear "if it's that important, then we'll wait till we're home." he looked at her averted gaze, before sliding his hand across her cheek and resting it under her jaw, holding her face towards his. With such sincerity, he looked into her eyes, and told her those three small words that made her whole world shift.

"I love you"

She dug her face into his shoulder, never wanting to let go, dreading the later that should never come, but of course would. A single tear fell down her face and pooled on his hoodie in a salty bead of prayer: a prayer that time should stop so they could sit together like that for eternity. Together.