Part 38

Sal ruffled Jamie's hair and stepped past him onto the porch, fumbling through his keys for the one that would unlock the door.
Both beaming, they stepped through the doorway and removed their shoes, tucking them just out of the way in the hall.
"We're home!" Sal called, with no reply.

Jamie frowned, noticing what his Uncle had already seen, and looked up at Sal; who was now checking his phone.
"Uncle Sal," he began, "Who's shoes are they?" he asked, gesturing innocently to the three unfamiliar pairs strewn messily about the entrance to the apartment.

Checking the volume on his phone; only to find it on silent; Sal opened and scanned over the messages on his screen.

Locking his mobile again and stuffing it in his pocket, he held the gaze of his nephew who stood before him, looking rather anxious and slightly panicked.

"You remember I told you about what I do. Y'know, for my job?"
Jamie nodded, mutely.
"Well they're here - my friends. Hey, don't look so anxious, hmm?" Sal smiled, "You like me, yeah?" he asked, now kneeling in front of the boy so that they were face-to-face.

"Yeah," Jamie smiled, nodding shyly. "You're an awesome Uncle."

"Well," Sal continued, "They're just like me. You'll be fine, I promise."

Sal stood and turned, about to head up the stairs, before feeling slightly startled by the boy wrapping his slender arms around him. Looking down, his heart warmed at the sight of his nephew hugging him tightly; head resting on his soft stomach, face turned away. Sal placed his arm around the slight form's shoulders, holding him tight, returning the hug.

"Thank you, Sal - for everything." he whispered; barely audible for the clear strength of emotion that he felt, now safe and warm in his Uncle's arms.

"It's OK bud. You know I'll always be here if you need me, yeah?"

"Uncle Sal?" Jamie asked, turning his face upwards to look the large man in the eye with sincerity and seriousness, "promise you and Aunt Clarabelle won't leave me like mum and dad did. Please?"

Leaning down and planting a brief kiss on his Nephew's forehead, Sal said in hushed tones,

"I promise."