chapter-18

Claire and I spend a lot of time together nowadays. It has only been three days since she joined the school, but for the first time, I feel happy having a friend. She's quite different from Clara, who used to be my friend before Dany left. Clara made it clear that I was of no use to her without Dany around.

It makes me wonder why everyone treats me as if I'm expendable. It has been difficult to make friends since then, or rather, it has been hard to trust anyone. Why is it that every time you take a risk and let someone in your life, it shatters your world?

You believe in people, and they betray you. They use you and then leave you. Your world crumbles. It feels like it's over. But then someone comes along like a knight in shining armor. Everything starts falling back into place. You feel like you can trust again. Your world brightens, and they help you put the pieces of your life back together. Your pain becomes just a fleeting feeling, no longer a source of misery. Pain, sorrow, grief, and dismay become mere words you hear. You begin to believe in yourself more than anything else. But it's all an illusion, and history repeats itself. They leave you all alone.

Though I'm enjoying this friendship right now, it's strange how easily Claire connects with me. She feels like a sister, maybe even more than that. I know it's only been a few days, but something inside me tells me that she'll be there for me when I need her. I don't know if I'm being prejudiced by the fact that she has noticed I really am not that popular in school and still  likes to hang out with me, but that's how I feel.

However, I'm afraid that she'll eventually leave me, just like everyone else did. Dany has been busy for the past week. We still hang out together when he's free, but now Claire is also in the picture. Dany and Claire argue almost all the time. On Claire's first day at school, they had a fight over whether ketchup is better than mustard sauce. The worst part was that the entire cafeteria was watching, turning it into a juvenile court drama.

My life is getting better, but it still hurt to see Raymond with Ellen. The strange thing is, I see Raymond every day in the library. I suppose we both have the same free period, but I don't understand when did he started going to the library? He always sits right across from me, which only makes me anxious. Of course, I can't let him see the effect he has on me so I try to focus on my book, even though it's difficult, especially when Raymond is sitting in front of me  glancing in my direction. 

Yes, I've noticed him stealing glances at me occasionally, so I devised a new plan. Instead of going to my usual table, I decided to hide within the Fantasy-Fiction section.

Engrossed in reading Pride and Prejudice for what felt like the hundredth time, I suddenly sensed a shadow in the aisle. Briefly glancing up, I traced the shadow back to its owner and discovered Raymond standing between the racks, holding a tray from Starbucks.

Pretending not to notice him, I continued reading my book.

"Hey there, Princess," Raymond said, taking a seat beside me.

"What do you want, Raymond?" I replied sternly.

"I got you this," he said, offering a Starbucks cup.

"What's this?" I asked, curious.

"That's your favorite. Mocha with almond milk and no whipped cream," he replied, placing the Starbucks cup between us.

"What's it for?" I asked, annoyed that he remembered my favorite drink.

"An apology," he replied, tilting his head toward me.

"Apology for what? It was just a kiss, Raymond. It doesn't mean anything," I replied, pretending to read my book. I felt him shift beside me, and his arm brushed against mine, sending shivers down my spine. My heart started racing faster than a speeding bullet. Adrenaline surged through my veins, sending my pulse into overdrive. Each beat felt like a thunderous drumroll echoing in my chest, threatening to burst. I closed my eyes, trying to control my breathing.