chapter-14

Sophie Esinberg's POV

I waited for some time, but Ray didn't show up. Finally, I made up my mind to complete my notes. I immersed myself in reading and understanding the material, hoping to grasp it thoroughly so that I could explain it to Ray effortlessly.

At a certain point, frustration overwhelmed me. There were several challenging topics that I struggled to comprehend, and with little time remaining, the pressure intensified. Panic started to creep in, and I found myself unconsciously chewing on the back of my pencil.

Suddenly, I felt someone's gaze upon me. Initially, I dismissed it, attempting to refocus on my studying. However, the presence persisted, and I gradually lifted my head, confirming my assumption—it was Raymond. His eyes were fixed on my notes, seemingly trying to unravel something. I must have been so engrossed in my studies that I didn't even notice Ray entering the room.

"Hey," I greeted him weakly, offering a feeble smile. Even though I was still frustrated, I tried my best not to show it.

"Hey," he responded, his gaze still fixed on the desk.

"How long have you been standing here?"

"Just as long as it took for you to start having that pencil for breakfast," he said, pointing towards my desk. I followed his line of sight, realizing the pitiful state of my pencil.

Ray began to grin, and I returned his expression with an amused look.

"What happened?" he asked, trying to control his laughter.

"Nothing," I replied, my frustration still lingering.

As I made my way towards the projector to insert the pen drive, Ray suddenly grabbed my wrist and swiftly turned me around. I narrowed my eyes, puzzled by his actions.

"What?" I almost shouted. I knew it wasn't his fault, but in that moment of frustration, any attempt at communication only fueled my aggravation.

He pulled me closer by my wrist, and before I knew it, I found myself standing face-to-face with him, our proximity closer than expected, and his grip on my wrist firm. His piercing blue eyes met mine, sending a shiver down my spine with his touch. I attempted to free myself, but his grip was unyielding.

"What happened?" he asked in a soft voice, still maintaining direct eye contact.

His hold on my wrist was uncomfortably tight. I averted my gaze, briefly glancing at my wrist, which he had clasped firmly. His eyes followed my sight, and upon realizing that he was causing me discomfort, he promptly released his grip.

He took a step back and began scratching his neck—a nervous gesture often seen in boys.

"I-I'm sorry," he stuttered, still scratching his neck.

"It's okay," I replied, still avoiding eye contact.

He turned around, sat on the table, and patted the space next to him, motioning for me to join him. I followed suit and sat beside him.

"What happened?" he gently inquired, his soft voice directed towards the projector.

"It's just... This damn project is driving me crazy," I sighed.

"Hey, it's alright, princess. It's just a project."

"I know, but grades do matter to me."

"I understand. We'll figure something out," he said, glancing towards me with his deep blue eyes.

I nodded in agreement but remained hesitant to look in his direction.

Awkward!

"You know, I have this typical nerd image at school. Sometimes it takes a lot of effort to maintain it," I mumbled, knowing he had heard me.