Chapter 10: Guitar

~That night~

Vision's footsteps faltered slightly as he reached the 16th floor of the Tower. He knew she would be there picking out a book or reading one, around the corner, curled up in her favorite seat next to the window, reading intently. A woman he found himself thinking about more often that he would like to admit - Wanda Maximoff. Lowering his gaze to the floor, he squared his shoulders and took a few deep breaths, then strode into the room before he could change his mind.

Unsurprisingly, she was sitting exactly where he knew she would be, this time reading a large book that he couldn't see the title of. Because she was so absorbed in her book, she hadn't noticed his entrance, to which he was thankful. He took a moment to study the way her eyelashes fluttered as her eyes travelled the length of the page she was on, and the way her nose was turned up slightly in concentration. It was no surprise he found her uniquely beautiful - she was confident and strong, where he was hesitant and doubtful, which he admired about her.

Quickly he became lost in her features and gestures and it was very disconcerting for him when he realised how long he had been staring at the woman. He fiddled with his cape for a moment - a habit he had developed that gave him security - and cleared his throat.

Wanda looked up sharply, startled by the sound, but when she saw who had interrupted her, she smiled kindly and placed the book on her lap. Then she greeted him with a soft hello, before asking the android if he needed anything.

Twisting the edge of his cape around his finger, he spoke quietly, "The rest of the Avengers wanted me to inform you that there's a meal downstairs for you."

"I was getting hungry," she admitted, glancing at her page number and discarding her book on the sofa behind her, "Care to join me," she asked.

Vision regarded the arm extended towards him with a look of uncertainty, before gingerly looping his arm in Wanda's and lowering himself to the floor so he could walk with her. He failed to notice the way she rolled her eyes at his lack of confidence.

"What were you reading," he asked in a small voice as they exited the room, trying to be polite.

Wanda smiled fondly at the question. "To Kill a Mockingbird," she answered, looking up at Vision, "I never used to have time for much reading and the characters fascinate me when I was little."

"What's it about?"

Wanda thought carefully for a moment, tilting her head to one side, "It's about the experiences of a little girl, called Scout, in her small town, in 1930s Alabama," she said.

Vision nodded, "It sounds very interesting," he mumbled.

She scoffed, "No it doesn't, it's more complicated than I made it sound and it explores a lot of society's major problems," she informed him, before pausing and regarding him with a frown, "Have you managed to read many books yet?"

Taken aback by the direct question, Vision reached behind him for his cape and looked at the floor, trying to adjust to the way Wanda was focused on nothing but him. "Um... I don't know - I don't think so," he told her, almost whispering.

Wanda laughed, "How can you not know for certain if you've ever read a book?"

Heat radiated from Vision's face as a blush fought its way to his cheeks. It wasn't the first time Vision had felt thankful that every inch of him was a bright red, because no one could ever tell when he was embarrassed. "I haven't read anything yet," he finally told her.

"Well when we've finished eating, maybe I could read something to you," she offered.

Vision managed the tiniest of smiles, "That would be nice," he said, before they fell into a comfortable silence, still descending the stairs.