Chapter 7: Training and shopping

"On your left," Vision heard the phrase repeated several times over the course of the morning, as he watched Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson dressed in athletic gear, run laps around the lawn of the Avengers training facility in the early hours of the morning. Vision observed that Steve was making much progress, running past Sam as many as two to three times in the time that it took Sam to run one lap, whilst repeating "on your left" every time he passed him. Vision had a vague understanding of what he meant, but it was such a strange phrase that he would need to hear an explanation from Steve himself, in order to fully comprehend it.

Inside the training facility, everyone was gathered and waiting for Steve to arrive so they could commence their training. A short while passed and Steve swung open the double doors leading to the training room and delivered a rousing speech to the new Avengers.

"If we're going to work alongside one another, we're going to need to learn to work together as a team. You all have unique abilities and skill sets. Sometimes they work together perfectly, sometimes they don't."

Rhodey looked at Vision from the corner of his eye, after hearing that last remark.

"I'm going to put you in pairs and your job will be to learn about each team member's fighting style, strengths and weaknesses. We'll rotate the groups until you each find the partner you work best with." Steve finished his speech and looked in Natasha's direction.

"Natasha, you'll be with Wanda. Rhodey, you'll practice outside with Sam, so you don't blow up the whole room and everyone in it."

"Vision, you're with me." Steve walked up to Vision, placed his hand on his shoulder in a friendly manner and lead him away from the others to get some space.

"But I don't need to be trained Captain, I'm familiar with every fighting technique that exists."

"But it's all theory, just knowledge in your head! You might have the knowledge, but have you applied it before," Steve asked, trying to get Vision to understand the value of practical application.

"Yes I have, you were there," Vision reminded Steve of their fight against Ultron.

"True, but that's not the point. I'm going to train everybody and you're not going to be an exception," Steve told Vision firmly.

Everybody else on the team had obtained years of practice. Whereas Vision, despite being endowed with such a vast amount of knowledge, had not been alive long enough to have the chance to accumulate such experience. Which was why he needed this training the most.

"Before we begin Captain, I have a question to ask you."

"Fire away."

"When you were running with Falcon this morning, what did you mean by 'on your left'? I'm unfamiliar with that phrase," Vision asked, to which Steve could not resist grinning in response.

"Hey! Let me answer that," Falcon who was just about to leave, overheard the two talking and glided over to them before Steve could give Vision an answer.

"It's a compliment! It's what you say to someone who's a bit slower than you, but is trying his best," Falcon informed him, trying to paint his failure to keep up with Steve in a favourable light.

"But the Captain repeated it many times, it didn't seem to be a compliment to me," Vision frowned slightly and replied with a dubious tone.

"Don't listen to him Vision, it's what you say to someone who's slower than you that you're going to pass them," Steve regained control of the situation and corrected Falcon with a smile.

"I see. Thank you for informing me," Vision thanked Steve and smiled at Falcon with a look of sympathy.

"Don't you have somewhere to be," Steve gave Falcon a hint by glancing outside the training room, where Rhodey was standing.