Chapter 8: Unexpected surprise

Vision walked into the facility to see the gang softly talking, while picking up furniture and paper.

"What has happened," he asked.

"Um Wanda had gotten a letter....it was about....her brother," Natasha answered.

"Is Ms. Maximoff doing ok?"

"She hasn't come out of her room, maybe yoou could go see if she alright."

Wanda stood out on the balcony of her room that she had reclaimed, looking over the glittering lights of the countryside bathed in moonlight. It was a pleasant night, warm with a slight breeze sending her red shawl, and red nightgown fluttering.

She sensed the Vision before he arrived.

"Wanda....."

"Have you ever wanted to hate someone?"

Vision blinked, looking over at the young woman leaning against the banister beside him, brown eyes darker than he could recall seeing them.

The mind within her head was roiling, crimson whips of anger and hurt swirling within, dangerous just to look at.

Cautiously, he stretched out his own mind, trying to calm her. He wasn't really afraid of her hurting him; he was more afraid of what she'd do to herself.

"No, I can't recall having a cause to hate anyone so much," he said softly, edging closer to her; he could see the source of her murderous intent, but it would be better if she admitted it herself.

Wanda bit her lips, torn; she obviously wanted to rant, but she could probably tell how unstable her emotions and her powers were now.

But he wasn't afraid, and he made sure she felt that; he tempered her rage with his steadfast calm, kept hold of her rationality even when it threatened to fly off amid the hurricane brewing in her head.

She met his gaze, unwavering, and finally burst out:

"I hate Ultron. I hate him. I hate him so much. I know he's your brother or your father or both and I know he's dead and there's no use in hating a dead man, but I just-I just hate him!"

She smacked a palm onto the railing under hand, and a burst of scarlet light broke the granite in two. She didn't even wince at the loud crack, just glared hard at the stone as if it were Ultron himself.

"I know it's useless," she added before Vision could say a word, "I know he's gone. But he took my- he took Pietro. He took Pietro, and there's not a damn thing I can do about it."

Her eyes rose, and he felt the worst stab of guilt and sympathy when he saw they were full of tears. "I just hate him," she whispered.

He reached forward, took her hand; he wasn't afraid of her, never had been. He held her limp hand in his, grip tight and grounding.

"... to feel that way, no matter how irrational it may seem, is simply human," he said quietly, free hand going to her face to wipe a few tears away. Wanda should never cry, he decided; it hurt too much to watch. "Ultron is gone, yes, and holding a grudge is often fruitless; but if it makes you feel better, you don't have to let go of it. You don't have to forgive Ultron for what he did to move forward."

She blinked, wide-eyed.

He smiled softly.

"I think... unique life form or not, I think I hated him too."

"For doing this to you," he added silently as he pressed a kiss to her forehead, "For making you sad."

"Kiss me," Wanda looked up into his arc reactor eyes. She didnt know what made her say that but she knew she needed to say it. Mayeb it was her sleepiness it was late. Maybe it was her powers taking over.

"Ms. Maximoff," Vision gasped.

"Kiss me," Wanda said again.

She walked closer to him until she was invading his space and then slowly, so slowly he was able to feel the seconds tick by, she leaned up and softly pressed her lips to his. He did not push, did not push for more, didn't apply too much more pressure than she did or sweep her into his arms. He simply reciprocated the soft gesture as best he could, following her lead in case he did something wrong. She pulled back slightly, keeping her face close to his while breathing the same air as him.

"You will stay?"

He inclined his head, "I have nowhere else to be, Miss Maximoff."

"Wanda."

"Wanda..." He seemed to taste the word. "Yes."

Something in his expression made her laugh. But sleep was coming fast, that strange calm washing over her, soothing the dreams away. She let her eyes fall closed, muttering into her pillow. "Thanks, Vihz."

~Next day~

"Mr. Wilson," Vision said. He stood awkwardly next to a table in the cafeteria, the table Sam was sitting at, "may I sit,"

"Sure, man," Sam said, and gestured to the seat, "and call me Sam, please,"

"Okay, Sam," he sat down, "I have a question I am unable to answer myself,"

"Shoot," Sam said, shoving salad into his mouth. He expected a question about humans; their emotions, their actions. The question he got was one he least expected.

"Do you think I am capable of love with a human girl," Vision said quickly.

"A human girl," Sam asked, putting his fork down, "is it Wanda?"

" 'It is' nobody," he said quickly, "I just do not know much about love, and I was curious if you thought I was capable of it,"

"Well, I have no idea," he had gotten over the shock, and how continued to eat his salad, "but if it is Wanda, and you're asking me if you should tell her, you should."

"Thank you, Sam," he stood up and exited the cafeteria. Now would be the challenge of finding her, and keeping his confidence until he did. The compound was huge; his chances were slim.

His chances were slim, but there she was, walking down the hall. Her black dress fit her nicely. He'd seen her out of black only two times since her brother's death. The first day of training, a week ago, and last night, when she had been wearing a scarlet nightgown.

Scarlet truly was a flattering color on her, and it went well with her powers. That was why they called her the Scarlet Witch, wasn't it? He didn't wish to call her Scarlet Witch. He didn't wish to call her Wanda. He wished to called her his.

He lacked the confidence. In the time he had spent thinking, she had disappeared from his sight, and like that his confidence was gone. He couldn't tell her, as much as it pained him, his human insecurities took over his human confidence. Would she accept him as a lover, even though he wasn't human? Would she accept that she couldn't have a family with him?

His mind told him that she wouldn't. It only told him the negative things, to keep him from telling her. It was his human mind trying to protect his human heart. Now he was feeling more human than ever before. Regardless of if the two of them were in a relationship or not, she helped him figure out who he was. He needed her. His only wish was that he could see inside her head, so he could see if she needed him as much as he needed her.