Chapter 17-Words Unspoken and Unheard

• Dedicated to Ellie Hodgson

Alec made a move to go past her and into his room-expecting Isabelle to move out of his way-but instead she moved to block him.

“Izzy get out of the way.” He said with a playful smile. But Isabelle’s expression was serious.

Alec sighed.

“C’mon Iz, I’m not in the mood to play games. Move over so I can go and see Magnus.” He had been trying to mentally and emotionally prepare himself for this moment almost as soon as he had calmed down after Jace had let it slip-trying being the operative word. But it had to be done’ he had to see Magnus.

But Isabelle just shook her head.

“Isabelle,” she scowled at his use of her full name. She knew he knew that she hated people calling her that. “I have not seen my boyfriend for two days. I have been forcibly kept apart from him for the last 22 hours because apparently he was being treated in the Silent City and then according to Jace my injuries were too serious for me to even get out of bed for another six hours…”

“And it’s only been 4.” Isabelle interrupted.

“I. Do. Not. Care.” Alec spat venomously, his eyes flashing. “Magnus is lying in there, in my room, in my bed, unconscious and he needs me.”

“Alec, I’m not supposed to let him be disturbed. At least wait until the Silent Brothers come back.”

“That could take hours! I need to see him now!”

It wasn’t that Isabelle didn’t understand. She knew how horrible it was being unable to be there for someone you loved. It had been the same for her when Magnus had been healing her brother from his attack by the Greater Demon last year. All she had been able to do was wait in agonized silence with Jace and Clary while they waited to hear if her brother was going to be ok. But she didn’t want to disobey the Silent Brothers either.

“Alec…”

“Don’t! Don’t you dare tell me I can’t see him!” Alec hissed. “I love that warlock with all of my heart; I need to make sure he is ok and nobody is going to stop me seeing him!” His voice cracked and his chest was heaving with emotion.

“SO LET ME IN OR, BY THE ANGEL, I WILL MAKE YOU MOVE.”  Isabelle cringed away from him sharply and stood there in a stunned silence as his voice echoed down the long hallway. She didn’t think she had ever heard her brother sound as passionate and angry as he did now. She stared at his face, at his glowering expression for a long time before sighing sadly and moving swiftly out of his way.

She decided would rather face the wrath of the Silent Brothers than deny her brother in his current state.

Alec stormed swiftly passed her without another word. She watched him disappear into the room until he slammed the door in her face.  She was shocked. Alec was usually so passive and calm. He stood up for himself when necessary and was by no means a push-over but seeing him acting so aggressive was disconcerting.

‘Don’t be stupid,’ she told herself. He was clearly exhausted and in pain-anyone would be a bit snappish.

Shaking her head dazedly she turned on her heel and retired to her bedroom. She was so tired she could hardly stay awake. Alec would look after Magnus better than anyone and if he did wake up somehow it was best if Alec was there. If the Silent Brothers wanted to continue studying him they would have to go through Alec.

Isabelle chuckled quietly to herself.

She had a feeling she knew who would win.

Alec forced himself not to look at Magnus when he first walked into the room otherwise he would spiral down into the deep dark pit of despair he was teetering on the edge of-barely managing to stop himself for falling into.