Chapter 11 End

The white waiting room walls seemed to be forever burned in the minds of Vic and Kellin. Now covered in a pair of shorts and a shirt from Vic's trunk, Kellin couldn't sit still. His head was racing and his mind was working overdrive. So much had happened in the little span of time that was twenty four hours. But even now it felt like so much was still happening. Because it was.

Kellin's leg bounced nervously, his anxiety getting the better of him as his eyes darted everywhere. The silence of the nearly empty hospital and sterile scent was driving him crazy after always being surrounded by thumping music and smoke filled air. Vic's warm hand was placed on Kellin's thigh in hopes of getting him to relax, but the sudden movement startled Kellin and caused him to jump. Kellin pushed Vic's hand off of his leg, Vic frowning in response, and instead stood up to pace the quiet waiting room.

It was just the two of them and Austin who was sat down as anxious as the two of them were feeling.

"Kellin, babe, please sit down. You need to calm down."

Kellin snapped.

"Calm down? Vic, I can't fucking calm down, okay? One of my best fucking friends, the only person I could bring myself to trust while I was kidnapped, could be on the verge of dying. I-...I don't know what to do." His knees buckled as Vic stood up and caught him just before he could fall. He rocked him back and forth, his hold tight around the fragile boy.

A lethal silence overcame them as a nurse dressed in white scrubs approached them.

Austin was the first to stand, Kellin following suite as he broke free from Vic's grasp.

"Uh...Preciado?" The nurse spoke, stumbling over her words as all three people in the room stared her down. Austin and Kellin let out sighs of despair and frustration, but stood standing next to Vic nevertheless.

"The wound went pretty deep, if the bullet would've flown just centimeters to the right then it would've grazed him. There wasn't any major damage, he only needed a few stitches, and he'll probably need a little help walking and doing things. He's doing well, but he's currently sleeping so you'll be able to see him when he wakes. And he'll be okay to go after we hold him for tonight."

Vic gave a tight nod as they all watched the nurse retreat back behind the doors and disappear.

They sat there on edge for the next couple hours, wishing that they could somehow lose track of time but never could because of the consistent ticking of the clock hung merely feet away from them on the wall. Kellin could hear each individual tick, it was driving him insane. He counted each second, which then turned to minutes, and so on.

Finally, once the clock hit fifteen minutes past one, a doctor emerged from the double doors in a white coat that reached just above his ankles, deep bags clung underneath his eyes, a tired look caught deep within the pits of them.

"Ashby, is it?" He started, walking towards the three of them who had become aware the moment he stepped into the empty room.

Austin nodded his head vigorously as the man walked closer and clasped his hands together. "There's bad news." Tears immediately sprung in Austin's eyes, his bottom lip captured by his teeth.

"The surgery...it...his lungs flooded with his blood." He told us, his face pale as a far look situated itself in his eyes. He blinked once, twice, and then he snapped out of it.

"Never in my time of being a doctor had I seen someone put in such a bad situation. Shot, doped up on heroine, beat. What happened to him?" The doctor received no answer, just grave expressions and a somber silence filled with nerves to get the end result. He let out a soft sigh and rubbed his tired eyes.