Fifty. A Devil in the Dark

Start from the beginning

"It's a reasonable question," Kenzie shrugged. "Last year we all got MacBooks because the charity was about providing schools in poor communities with computers."

"See," I nodded. "Not a stupid question."

"So, Demetria," Kenzie grinned, pretending she didn't notice the glare I shot her way. "You never told us how Thanksgiving with the beau and folks went."

"It was surprisingly good," I nodded, leaning against my closed locker. "My mom is in love with him, my dad loosened up to him, and Deacon has now decided they are the best of friends because he has a nice ride," I paused. "Oh, and Kenz? Just so you know, you have some competition."

"And what the hell does that mean?" She narrowed her eyes. "Is he cheating on me?"

I nodded with what I hoped was a grievous look on my face. "He was caught up with this girl the second he laid eyes on her, and honestly the feeling was pretty mutual."

"I can't believe him," she practically screamed. "I'm going to cut off his dick and force it down his throat, but not before I deal with the bitch. I need her name, home address, and social security number."

"Social security number?" Majesty's stared at her. "What are you talking about?"

Kenzie ignored her and waved an impatient hand. "I need info Demi!"

"Believe it or not I do not have access to her social security numbe-"

"That's fine, I'll find it out myself. Name?"

I bit my lip to stop to myself from smiling. "Briella...Benson."

"Briella Benson?" Majesty cut in. "As in Aidan's sister? Like is five year old little sister?"

Kenzie stilled and then slapped my arm when I burst into laughter.

"Fuck you, Demi," she snapped. "You play too much."

"I'm sorry," I wheezed. "I couldn't help it. I really couldn't. The opportunity was just there. What's her social security number," I mimicked in hysterics. "What exactly were you planning to do with that information, Mac?"

"Never mind what I planned to do," she sniffed and ran a hand through her curly hair. "The point is I don't have to do it."

"You're out of your mind," Majesty tapped a finger against Kenzie's skull. "Really and truly," she flashed me a winning smile. "I'm glad it all went smoothly, Dem."

"It kind of went smoothly," I corrected her. "Not completely."

"You just said your family loved him," her eyebrows furrowed.

"Yeah, they did," I paused. "It was just something involving the two of us."

"What, like a fight?"

"Kind of..."

"Stop being cryptic!" Kenzie pushed my shoulder. "What happened?"

"We got into it over the birthday present he gave me," I sighed, frowning at the memory.

"Was it cheap? It was cheap wasn't it?" Kenzie shook her head. "Ugh men."