You Show Me Yours, I'll Show You Mine

Charles sat up in the bed, covering himself a bit with the blanket. He was still half naked in Erik's bedroom but somehow this did not seem to bother him, he didn't feel self-conscious in any way, it all felt natural. Erik was still sitting on the edge of the bed, looking down at his hands. After a few moments the blacksmith lifted his head and looked at Charles earnestly when he spoke again.

"First I want to warn you that I am not going to hurt you! I'm not dangerous. I could be... but I don't want to." Erik said, sounding almost pleading. "Please, keep that in mind when you hear and see what I am about to share with you."

"I will keep that in mind." the teacher promised

Erik took a deep breath as if what he was about to do was a huge emotional step for him. Charles was already absolutely certain that his friend was a mutant and this was what he was about to tell him now. He could also see how nervous Erik was and if the reason was really what the teacher suspected it to be, well, it was perfectly understandable why Erik's hands were a little shaky. Telling someone you're a mutant was hard - even one's closest people could turn against you just for being different. Charles could easily read Erik's mind and find all the information he needed in there but that was not the way he wanted this to happen. He wanted to earn Erik's trust, to know that Erik himself chose to share this with Charles. He would not spare Erik the moment of 'coming out' to him, so to speak. Erik had to do this on his own, had to say it out loud and show Charles whenever he was ready. Charles was not going to deprive him of that. So he waited, giving Erik the time he needed.

"Ever since I was 14" Erik spoke slowly, concentrating, his nervousness subsiding a little but still noticeable "... I can do... this..."

The metal bow of fruit on the nightstand began floating around them in the air. Charles' entire face lit up. So it was true! This mutation was amazing! Charles couldn't help his enthusiasm and it showed in the hundreds of questions that he had for Erik.

"I knew it! Is it telekinesis? Can you move anything or is it just the metal? Do you control the molecules or the magnetic waves? Since when can you do this? When did you discover your power? How did you find out about it? Is it hereditary? This is a mutation, a brilliant mutation! Do you know any other mutants?"

Erik blinked at him in confusion, making Charles realize that he may have been a little overly enthusiastic about it and was now probably scaring the taller man off. In his excitement Charles had sat up straighter in the bed and clenched the muscles of his arms. He didn't feel any pain then because he was too far gone in his fascination with Erik's mutation, but now he was slowly coming back to his senses and his shoulder started hurting him again. He rubbed it gently with his good hand and lied down again.

"I-- I'm sorry..." he mumbled. "I got carried away..."

"You're not afraid of me." Erik stated the obvious, still looking very puzzled

"Well... no." Charles replied.

Of course he wasn't afraid of Erik. Erik was his friend! Erik was wonderful! Erik had already saved him so many times, Charles knew Erik would never hurt him. If anything, being closer to Erik made him feel safe. But Erik seemed to be struggling with understanding that someone would see his abilities and still be amazed by them!

Charles thought of how his family had reacted to his own mutation when it started to show, all the hurtful words, all the bullying he got because of it. It must have been similar for Erik too. Hell, it could've been even worse!

"People usually get scared... I had to leave many towns because of that." Erik confessed

Charles shook his head with a smile. "I'm not people." he replied, placing one hand on Erik's to steady it, to comfort him.