Chapter 6 - Daddy Never Held Mumma's Hand

Sarah walked home after her shift at the café, hoping that Ginger wasn’t waiting for her. The night hadn’t gone well and she could just imagine what Ginger had in store. Instead of going home Sarah decided to go see her dad and tell him everything that happened.

Sarah turned up at her dad’s house and when she got to the door, it was already open. She walked in cautiously and soon enough her dad welcomed her from the top of the stairs.

“Sarah! How are you?”

“I’m okay.”

“No your not, my senses are tingling”

“Mum came to work today”

“Oh right, yes I don’t think I can help you with that one.”

“Why not, you were married to her for 12 years!”

“We may have been married for 12 years, but marriage is just a title.” He said walking around the room.

“So what you never talked to each other?”

“We did, and we had very different perspectives, like for example, I said that you should start working when ever you want to because your that type of person. Your mother however decided to shelter you and not let you get a job”

Sarah stared at her dad wondering what else he had not told her about her mum. He was the only one who would speak out against her no matter what the outcome could be.

“What do you know about her that I don’t dad?” She asked curiously.

Her dad looked wondering how he was going to tell everything that he knew without making Ginger sound like the worst mother in the world.

“Look I may have a lot to tell you, but you still have our own opinion about your mother okay.”

“Okay I will” She said with her fingers crossed behind her back.

“We never planned on having you, but when we found out we were both happy. Well that’s what I thought. Your mother became really… how should I put this… over the top about everything.”

“So like what she is now?”

“Yeah like that”

“So what you went along with it?”

“I tried as hard as I could to go along with it, I got fed up with it, she went crazy and I she kicked me out.”

“Wait, you just missed like 10 years of you both being together!”

“Fine, your mother and I were never close after she had you”

“Why?”

“Because I gave you all the attention”

Sarah realised that she was the reason that her parents weren’t together anymore and she started to understand everything that she remembered from when she was younger. He mum and dad never sat on the same couch and they were never in the same room together unless they were going to bed.

“So I’m the reason you guys split?”

“No I am.”

“How are you the reason? Everything bad started happening when I came!”

“When your mother started getting angry, I stopped coming home from work, I went to the pub and got smashed off my face and then went strait to work the next day. Mind you that’s how I lost my job.”

“So your blaming mum for everything?”

“You know now that I think about it clearer, I am blaming her!”

Sarah got up of the chair and walked towards the door. Her dad watching her hoping that she would turn around and come and hear the rest of the story.

“Sarah come back please?”

“Why should I?”

“Because I haven’t told you everything.”

Sarah walked back over the chair and sat quietly waiting for her dad to start telling the story again. Even though she didn’t want to hear it, a part of her did want to know everything.

“Well start the story then!” Sarah said impatiently.

“Okay, so I lost my job”

“Yeah and you blamed it on mum”

“Well I had to come home after that and tell her, and was she mad.”

“I remember that day, she was yelling so loudly that I could hear her from the back yard.”

“Yeah well that’s when things started getting worse. She realised that I didn’t have a job and that she would have to get one, so she found one and left you with alone to go to school, which you did perfectly I might add.”

“Well I had no other choice and …”

“Anyway I got angry as well and then by the end of the fight, you mum had kicked me out when I had nothing.”

“Did you guys do anything together as a couple?”

“No not really, remember everything started going downhill when you came, but I made it worse.”

“Okay, well I should get home” Sarah said wanting to leave as quickly as possible.

“Cool, If you ever need to talk again, just come over!” He yelled as Sarah walked out the door.

Sarah started to think about everything her dad had said. It would explain why she never goes out on dates with guys and how she hates going o her job. It also explains why she is so weird when it comes to affection. Her dad had never given her mum affection and now Ginger didn’t know how to react to certain emotions. But still it was interesting to know that even back then she didn’t want Sarah to get a job, but her dad did. Sarah sat on the bench outside her house. It had gotten cold and she was only in a t-shirt and shorts but she still wanted to think a bit more before confronting Ginger.