Chapter Twenty Four- Little Escapade

"Are you really serious about this?" Karter asks as I hop off his motorbike. I position my bagpack properly on my shoulders first before I glare at him. "Guess you really are. Okay."

"Well," I reply, "have you changed your mind already and want to help me now?"

He scrunches his face as his response, and then looks at the rising sun and the desolated George Watson High in front of us. "Uh, No."

Go figure.

"Because in case you haven't noticed, I still have to take a bath and prepare for school," he continues while placing the extra helmet on the lock. "And sis, it's still six thirty, have you gone mad?"

"Since birth," I whisper, and he chuckles.

"True," he replies. "Anyway, good luck finding the ripped paper. Adios!" and just like that, he leaves me all alone. I just shrug in my place, and think that I better get started on this mission before somebody asks me again if I have gone mad or what—That'll be frustrating.

In our school, we have a very strict garbage segregation system—thank the heavens. That is the one thing that makes George Watson High famous in this side of the country anyway, so we uplift that reputation by being very conscious of where we put our trashes. Our school janitors gather all bins into three containers for each of the garbage categories at the end of every day, and they are put outside the school building, just near the school parking lot, so I make my way there as swiftly as I can.

As soon as I come face to face now with the bins categorized as Paper trashes, I pull out the ripped paper that I got yesterday and study its edges. I have a theory that whatever is written in the lost ripped piece is something I have to do. I am determined to find it immediately so I can get the dare or blackmail thing over with—and all this threat be nothing but just a bad phase in life.

"Oh boy, I can't believe I'm going to do this," I say and then grunt before I roll up the sleeves of my blue flannels, and start digging into the first bin.

It's going to be a long morning.

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

"So how was your mission this morning?" asks Macky as I settle in my usual seat during lunch. Red and April immediately stop eating and turn to me, hungry for information.

"I actually got a paper cut," I say, "See?" then I put my finger with a cut in front of them.

"And?" Red pushes.

"And," I drawl. "Did you know that Leander failed one of his exams? I saw his paper in the trash. And some freshmen girls are going to a party tonight, they're planning to get drunk. Gee, people still pass notes in class! Oh! Oh! And I saw some of your unfinished sketches, why'd you throw it? They're pretty good," I tell Macky.

"So you were basically just scavenging for other people's businesses?"

"No! I just come across them. And they're already in the trash so they're for public use," I defend.

"Right. So this means you haven't found the missing piece yet," says Macky matter-of-factly.

I don't reply. I feel a little bit down and disappointed at myself for not finding it, actually. But then again, I wasn't done with all the bins because I got distracted by all the gossips I found in them. It's amazing how a trash bin can contain secrets—and disappointments.