Chapter Twelve- Closing Time

One of the few things that make me utterly pissed and want to smack someone in the head with a baseball bat is that when people stereotype others based on the color of their hair; or stereotyping, basically.

                There have been more than twenty instances in my sixteen years of existence that I've been dubbed as dumb and cannot get anything right. The latter is a little bit acceptable and doesn't make me go wild as much as the former because, let's face it, sometimes my plans and the universe's plans don't go in sync, so I end up not doing anything right—or good. However, when it comes to being dubbed as dumb, and although I'm striving hard to get out of the C lane in History, I am one hundred percent sure that I am not D-U-M-B. School doesn't measure a person's intelligence, people! It pisses me off so much to the point that I would do anything to make the person who said it feel my hurt. When I was younger, how I handled it was so much worse. Now, however, I am trying my best to act as professional as I can especially when my career at Prettea is at stake.

               "I told her I was sorry," I say in defense as I lean on the staff lockers. Ally is the one taking charge of the orders behind the counter, and Melissa and Carol are trying to talk to the customer who I had the misfortune of spilling her milk tea, purposely, on her table after she called me a dumb blonde. "It was an accident."

               "She thinks it was an accident," April enunciates as she stands before me like a school teacher and I'm her pesky little student who deserves a detention. "But you clearly did that on purpose, K and you're not even sorry." She sighs, and rolls her eyes in frustration.

               "Of course I wasn't sorry! You know, she's the one who should've said sorry to me. You know me, and my issues with people who judge right away and stereotype others just by their freaking hair color, right? I mean, where's the justice in that?"

               April brushes her hand through her hair in defeat, and sighs again in frustration. "Let's just hope Mel and Carol sort it out just fine back there." She takes a peak behind the counter to look at the place where Mel, Carol, and the customer are located. I just cross my arms over my chest, and groan inwardly in annoyance.

              Few minutes later of silence between April and I, I see Mel coming into view behind the counter, and for once, I couldn't read her face. I start to worry about my career and my college life, and basically, my future. She seems to understand how I'm feeling so with a flick of a switch, she smiles, and says, "Almost. But not quite; everything's fine, Karsen." She gives me an assuring nod, and I release a mouthful of air.

            "For a second, I thought you're gonna fire me," I say with a phew, and then take a sit on the bench near Carol's office. I can finally rest my legs after minutes of dread.

             "That's Carol's job, by the way. But considering an upcoming competitor of ours across the street, we're gonna be needing a lot of manpower to run this badass teashop." I smile as she says badass. With all the pink things in here, you can definitely say this shop is really badass.

             "Please, they're no competition," I imply to the both of them.

             "We can't assure yet," remarks April, "their building's definitely bigger than ours."

              "Whoa, there," I interrupt, "I thought you're the bookworm, Ap. What happens to the don't judge a book by its cover?" I point. "This shop's maybe small, but it's definitely amazing, and maybe far more amazing than the shop over there is ever going to be." They laugh at that, and I just hope they also believe what I just said.