"Come out tomorrow. Spend some time with her. If you get anything out of it, maybe come back again," she offers. "I know you may think I'm coming across as bold, but Alice is special. My father wasn't wrong to think so. I've seen the videos of her before everything went to hell, and she's- magical. I was in show jumping for fifteen years and never saw another like her. It's tragic what she's become. If there's any chance at all that she'll trust you-"

"You don't have to try to convince me," I assure her. And it's the truth. Somehow, by some perverse twist of fate, I'm already invested in this horse- and everything that comes with her.

I put Galileo back into his stall when we get to the barn, scratching behind his ears in farewell before turning back to Marilyn.

"I won't be able to do anything with her if they-" I glance pointedly to the three still having difficulty convincing Alice to follow them. "-treat me like I'm made of glass. I get that she's been a problem horse is, but I'm a big girl. If I can't handle something, I'll ask for help. Otherwise-"

"Tell them to lay off?" she laughs. "I swear, it's the caveman instinct. Paul nearly lost his mind earlier when Alice knocked me down to get out of her stall."

"Your husband?"

She flashes me her bare ring finger. "Boyfriend. Tyler's father and I split up a while ago."

"I'm sorry."

She snorts. "Don't be. Best decision of my life."

I tilt my head, curiously. "I hope you don't mind me saying, but you seem too cool to be a mom."

She smiles at me as she begins to untack her mare. "I don't mind. I pull out the 'mom hat' when I need to, but Ty is pretty self-sufficient."

I glance over my shoulder to where Tyler is tugging on Alice's lead.

"I can see that," I giggle. "And Levi?"

"Levi isn't mine, though he's practically family. He's our live in barn hand while he's going to school."

By the time Alice is cleaned, stalled, sedated, and stitched up, it's well past 10:00 and I know I'll have some explaining to do when I get home- to Jace, no less.

I take a moment alone at her stall while everyone else is thanking the vet for coming out on such short notice.

Her head is still drooping from the sedation, her eyes glazed over in a half-asleep state.

"You're gonna be okay, Alley-Cat," I say under my breath, stroking her muzzle softly.

"Do you always talk to horses?"

I turn, matching the voice to Levi.

"Maybe. And?" I retort, my hand finding my hip. Now that Alice is safe and my mind is no longer consumed with protecting her, I allow myself to take in his ridiculously toned physique and good looks. When his piercing blue eyes find mine, I remain unabashed.

"As long as they don't talk back, I suppose you're alright."

"And if they do?"

He chuckles, practically devouring me with his eyes. "You're something else, kid."

I smile, tapping my finger to my dimples. "The word you're looking for is 'jailbait.'"

He laughs, before heading up into the loft.

"Grace-" I turn to face Tyler, whose staring at me inquisitively. "You ready to get home."

I take a last look over my shoulder at Alice, and nod.