Chapter 1

Wait for Mated Love

 New day, same thing  

For the last ten years I have woken up everyday to the same thing. The same pale white walls with the "fresh" paint they smear on every three years peeling off. Layer by layer reveling an even more dingy  white than the one before. The room was easy to memorize.  That being because it was bare except the queen sized mattress that lay in the middle. Today is Tuesday so I had already balled up my dirty sheets and placed them by the only entrance and exit to the room in anticipation for wash day. 

I had the luxury  of getting my sheets washed every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. I was one of the lucky ones. After ten years you earn your place. Even when your place is in a cell room. I had come to learn a hand full of the guards names and how they ended up down here. Most of them are drunks and had debts to pay off to the king, but a few of them were breed just to be here. Like me their mothers worked in the cells. The mother fell pregnant  and were forced  to give up their child with threats of punishment or death, but most gave the child up willingly. To save themself the daily reminder of what they do down here and what they can never have. 

The children they give up live normal lives in the castle and depending on the talents they display they are given their roles. Boy or girl they can end up in the cells if the king deems it so, but some go off to live normal lives. They have families, careers, and ambitions. Things like that are only fantasy down here. 

I hear keys behind the door and the nob jiggle. I immediately send my gaze to the floor. My feet bellow are bare on the brick flooring beneath them. My nails have grown long enough for it to catch dirt. It's about time for a trim. 

The door opens and I hear the shuffle of heavy feet inside the room. " No funny business today Clarissa. I am only here to give you your breakfast and grab ya sheets today." The man says.  A smile creeps at the edges of my mouth. I look up to meet the eye of the man placing my breakfast try on the edge of the bed. "Jamyas, my favorite personal body guard. Are you implying that I would try to take advantage  of you?"  Jamya gave me a quick once over before simply saying "Yes, you would." 

I laughed at his bluntness. Jamyas had been working as a guard for the last 4 years. He wasn't a drunk, but he is paying off a debt to the king. He's  just too quiet to tell me what. He's a well built man. Easily in his late twenties. His hair like all guards had been buzzed short, but it didn't take away from his soft features and brown eyes one bit. "Come on Jamya! I just want a heads up. It always helps me prepare for the day." He rolled his eyes at me at the comment, but he knew it was true. "Two." he said quietly under his breath. 

Two. TWO! I thought knowing would make me feel better, but in the case it did not. I had never had two before. Every now and again two in a week, but  never in one day. My heart started working overtime as I thought about what that could mean. My heart beat was loud in my ears, but I nodded a silent thank you to Jamyas and watched him pick up the sheets and slink out the door. I did not hear the rattle of keys this time as he left.

I walked across the bricked floor to the foot of the mattress. Leaning over to pick up the plastic green tray laying on top. I felt my body ache at the first stretch of the day. My back felt tight almost ridged  after last weeks work and my legs felt like they could give out at any second. I knew they would not though. If I have learned anything in this place, its my limits. 

I scanned over the contents of the tray. It held a decent breakfast;  eggs, toast, two blues pills and water in a half empty plastic cup nothing that I was too concerned with at this time. I felt along the bottom of the tray and felt my fingers glide over paper. I pulled the  paper off and held it in one hand close to my face. 

The paper was crumpled. Probably from the journey here on the underside of a cafeteria tray, but the writing is as clear as if i wrote it myself. The smooth lines and swirls of the cursive on the page put me at peace even after hearing  the news from Jamyas.  I sat down on the edge of the bed and balanced the tray on my lap as I began to read the letter. 

"My Dearest"  It started,

" I long to see you again and we shall not have to be apart for much longer. I will come for you soon and our love will not stay hidden. I will keep my promise to you and our love for each other will keep us strong until then. 

-C" 

With a small smile on my face I folded the note the placed it delicately  in my pillow case with the others. Over the years I had acquired a collections of the notes. Each one refilling my faith that I will leave the cells behind. One day. 

The tray on my lap that was once room temperature began to grow cold reminding me that I have not touched my breakfast and that I should do so quickly. I picked up the toast and sunk my teeth into the mushy buttery center. The bread was burned on both side, but still managed to flop downwards in my grasp. I picked up the blue pill forcing my self to swallow them with the mush of bread in my mouth. It would only bring my trouble if I didn't. I quickly forked the eggs into my mouth and discarded the tray near the door again. 

Crumbs from the toast had fallen on the floor and stuck to the bottom of my feet as I walked to the closet. The clothing was scarce,  but it was enough to get me by. I picked out a plain blue shirt, and a blue jean skirt that hugged me a little too tightly. One of the younger girls had given it to me after she had grown out of it and it looks like I will soon be gifting it away as well.  Quickly I got dressed and went to lie on the bed.

As I lay on the bed watching the celling for what feels like hours it becomes harder, and harder for me to remember anything. The magic behind those pretty blue pills. Those pills are supposed to make the pain bearable, but I think the only thing it does is make my blood  more desirable for the freaks. Luckily the pills also make it easy to forget whats going on while they are here too. A small curtsey  form our king. 

I feel my eyes dragging and a waive of exhaustion wash over my body. It's almost time. I can feel it. Before I succumb to the effects of the pills I begin to go through my checklist. It's become my mantra over the years. 

"My name is Clarissa, my parents are John and Allysa Parks, I'm 17 and I'm in this place because I'm waiting for my Prince." but towards the end my words are nothing but a quiet mumble. My eyes close, and I start to drift to sleep.

Authors note: 

This story holds a dear place in my heart as one of my first, but it needs a lot of work so feedback is welcomed.  I want this book to be as great and I appreciate  any help to get it there. Thank you for reading! Please let me know what you think.