Chapter 9

A/N: Don't forget to vote/comment! :) I'll love you forever if you'd remember

~

"What are you getting?" Jeremy asks me, scanning through the menu.

"I'll have a salad," I say. "I'm not really that hungry."

I really didn't want to get a big meal. When Eli and I usually ate outside, I always got salads because I felt weird when he looks at me while I'm eating.

Eli's a really nice friend, but sometimes it can get awkward between the both of us.

If we weren't flirting, I was busy thinking of comebacks for his cheesy pick up lines.

"Oh, look!" he grins. "There's Sean and Maddie! Hey, guys, over here!"

"Hi," Maddie says, taking the seat in front of me. "It's so nice to meet you, Summer. I'm Maddie."

"Hello," I greet. "It's great to finally meet you! Jeremy has told me a lot about you two."

"Same here," she replies with a huge grin. "Have you guys ordered anything yet?"

"I got salad," I murmur quietly at the same time Jeremy says, "I got steak."

"Salad?" Sean asks.

"Yeah. We're getting fro-yo after, so yeah," I say with a grin.

"Sean!" Maddie says, playfully slapping his shoulder. "Introduce yourself. You're so rude."

"You look hot in your dress," he replies.

Were Eli and I like this all the time?

Shit.

No wonder people stare at us like we're crazy.

"Stop," Maddie orders in a serious tone.

And right there, I saw myself in her.

We both cared about a guy for so long, we almost stopped caring for ourselves.

Then we snap back to reality and remember that he's just a fantasy that will never happen.

Well, for me, at least.

Sean was gonna ask her to be his girlfriend tonight.

"Are you okay?" Jeremy asks softly. "You seem to be a little... distracted."

"Yeah, I just need some air," I say, avoiding eye contact. "Excuse me."

I had just gotten a bit sick of Maddie and Sean and how their tongues were down each other's throats, plus I wasn't really a close friend of theirs.

I could at least give them a little privacy.

I walk out of the restaurant and take a seat on one of the benches.

This dress was really really tight, so I had to sit in a very uncomfortable way.

"Hey."

I look up, startled.

Jeremy.

He takes a seat beside me, but stays quiet.

"Why did you follow me?" I ask, confused.

I never expected him to come; Eli doesn't.

"I wanted to see if you were okay," he says, looking straight into my eyes.

"But I said I was."

"But you weren't," he says with a small smile. "Now. Why are you really out here?"