(13) Teardrops and Butterflies

Teardrops and Butterflies

Chapter  13

The next few hours were excruciating as we waited for Katie’s test results. The nurses came in to check on her the whole time and every time I saw Dr. Kremer I got this real bad feeling. He didn’t look as optimistic as I would have liked him to.

It was the next morning when the results finally came back and Dr. Kramer came walking into Katie’s room. He had an envelope in his hands and a sad expression on his face.

“What is it? What does it say?” Katie asked as she pushed herself up in her bed, clutching her arms around her stomach.

“I’m sorry… but the cancer is back,” Dr. Kremer answered causing my entire body to fl fill with fear, sadness and anger.

“No, it can’t be, maybe the tests are wrong!” I half yelled out of desperation although I knew I was being unreasonable. Dr. Kremmer is the best doctor I know and there is no way he would give us a false diagnosis.

“I assure you the tests are correct,” Dr. Kremer stated as he put a reassuring hand on my shoulder.

“What about our baby?” Katie asked, her eyes filled with worry and unshed tears.

“The baby is healthy and growing normally,” Dr. Kremmer answered, smiling slightly.

”You’ll be ok,” I whispered taking Katie’s hand in mine as I moved closer to her.

“You healed her last time, you can do it again, right?” I asked, looking Dr. Kremer straight in the eyes.

“It’s not that simple this time with Katie being pregnant,” Dr, Kremer answered without elaborating.

“What do you mean?” I asked, hating not knowing

“Chemo therapy and radiation will affect the baby, it might cause a miscarriage or sever birth defects,” he answered and I could feel Katie’s hand stiffen in mine.

“But there has to be something you can do, you have to heal her!” I yelled as I started shaking, my emotions getting the better of me. I couldn’t stand losing her. I would do anything to make her healthy again.

“We could go ahead with the chemo and radiation but we will have to abort the baby,” the hospital won’t allow it otherwise. Dr. Kremmer said, his voice filled with concern

“No! I won’t’ let you do that!” Katie yelled as tears started running down her cheeks.

“Ssshhh, its ok, “I tried to soothe her as I wrapped her in my arms but I could tell it wasn’t working.

“You can’t let them kill our baby, please tell them no,” she pleaded as she sobbed in my arms.

“Ok, I’ll tell him” I said, my heart sinking in my chest. I didn’t want to harm our baby but I didn’t want to risk Katie’s life by keeping it.

“Please give us some time alone,” I asked Dr. Kremer rand then turned my full attention on Katie.

Dr. Kremer didn’t say anything more but I soon heard the sound of his footsteps and then of the door closing behind him

“We can’t kill our baby, I would rather die,” Katie stated, pulling out of my arms and looking at me pleadingly as she clutched her stomach.

“I won’t let anybody hurt our baby,” I said reassuringly, placing my hand over hers.

I had to reassure Katie over and over again for what seemed like forever before she finally settled down. It took another few hours for Katie to finally fall asleep, giving me a chance to go speak to Dr. Kremer. I found him in his office and although I didn’t have an appointment he asked me to come in immediately.

“Please tell me how bad it really is,” I stated as I sat down opposite him.

“There is a very slight chance that we will be able to save her and her baby, it is very likely that one of them won’t survive this pregnancy,” Dr. Kremer answered, wording my worst fears.

“What do you suggest we do?” I asked, fighting back the tears I’ve been struggling with since Dr. Kremer broke the news about Katie’s cancer returning a few hours ago.

“Aborting the baby would be your best option, Katie will still be able to have babies later on and we might be able to cure her again,” Dr. Kremmer advised his voice thick and I could tell that he was honestly concerned.

“I don’t think Katie will do it,” I replied, my heart racing in my chest.

“You should try to convince her, it might be her only chance,” he said as he sat back in his chair and sighed sadly.

“Ok, I’ll talk to her again, maybe she’ll change her mind once she’s calmed down and I can make her understand,” I stated before getting up and leaving his office.

I walked through the hospital, thinking about what we should do and how I was going to ask Katie to give up our baby so that she could live.