(6) Teardrops and Butterflies

Teardrops and Butterflies

(Sequel to The girl in the attic)

Chapter 6

Preston’s POV

Monday dragged by like usual and by the time the bell rang signaling the day was over I was really excited. I had asked Brook to convince Katie to spend some time with her and although I could see that Katie was reluctant, she eventually agreed, finding it hard to say no to her new found best friend.

Brook told Katie that she desperately needed some help with her history project which was quite believable since Brook didn’t do too well in school. It’s not that she is dumb, she’s just lazy and never wants to study or do homework.

I didn’t have much time since I had to be at work in about half an hour so as soon as they drove out of the parking lot I jumped into my car and sped off towards the mall. Luckily I knew exactly where I wanted to go so it didn’t take long before I was standing in the jewelry store in front of a counter filled with rings.

They were all very pretty but one in particular stood out to me. It wasn’t the biggest or most extravagant one of them but it was perfect for Katie. I didn’t have to think about it or wonder if she was going to like it. I just knew she would, so when the clerk asked me if he could help me I immediately told him which one I wanted and paid for it with my credit card. I was sure that my parents wouldn’t mind.

I got to work just in time and had to start serving customers immediately but I didn’t mind. I had gotten the perfect ring for Katie and I was jumping out of my skin with excitement.

Katie arrived back at the diner an hour or so before I was done for the night so she sat at the counter with a smile on her face as she watched me work. She always has a smile on her face, reminding me just how lucky I really am.

When I was done we ate some of the leftover food for dinner and then headed upstairs. I still had some homework to do so I did it while Katie took a bubble bath. When she was done I took a quick shower and then we got into bed. It was already quite late and we were both tired so we just went to sleep.

The next day I phoned the butterfly park to make a booking for Saturday and on Wednesday my parents stopped by to say goodbye. I couldn’t really talk much with them since I was working but they didn’t seem to mind spending some time with Katie. I didn’t tell them about my plan to ask Katie to marry me but I wasn’t too worried about it. I was going to marry her no matter what they said anyway.

Thursday and Friday flew by quickly and when Saturday came along I was starting to feel a bit nervous. What if she said no? What if she thought we are too young?

Katie’s POV

“Wake up beautiful,” I heard Preston whisper into my ear, his breath hot on my neck.

“I don’t want to,” I complained as I wrapped my arms around him and pulled him close to me. He gently kissed me on the lips but then pulled away, leaving me confused.

I opened my eyes and looked up at him. He was fully dressed and looking extremely handsome.

“Why are you dressed?” I asked, stretching my arms as I sat up.