Prologue

Prologue

The morning was cold when the man appeared in March Street. It was still very early so a cool mist swirled around his ankles. It covered the cloak he was wearing in droplets of moisture which glinted in the light of the sun, which was only just peeping out over the horizon. Soft beams of light were starting to break through between the houses. People were going to be awake soon. The man picked up his pace, walking purposefully towards to an iron gated building at one end of the street. The building was dark and imposing in comparison to the smaller houses which lined the rest of the street. The man slid silently between the gates and made his way up the stone steps to the entrance. He turned his face up and read the sign over the building's door: 'Miss Ferris' School for girls.' He knew he didn't have long before he needed to leave. His sensitive ears were starting to pick up the sounds of people stirring in their homes. Carefully reaching under his cloak, he pulled out a small warm bundle. The baby was still sleeping, her small features set into a kind of determined frown. He lifted the baby up and pressed his lips to her warm cheek, whispering a few words to her before he gently laid her on the step below the large front door. He trailed a finger down the infant's cheek, watching her for just a moment. He knew she would soon wake and he needed to be gone before then. From his pocket, he removed a white envelope and tucked it into the baby's blanket. Once he had done this, he walked away without looking back. He was far away before the baby woke up and started to cry, alerting the residents of March Street that she had arrived.