Chapter Fifty-Three: Party-Time

Start from the beginning

Her reply floored me. Bella had looked down at her lap, twisting her slim fingers as she whispered, “You know what I want.”

Immortality. Riiiight. So not going to happen. I refuse to rob Bella of her precious humanity, of her beautiful soul. Over the decades she would grow to despise me for all that I had stolen from her: the restfulness and peace of sleep, the pleasure of enjoying food, the opportunity for growth and change, the ability to have children—in other words, her entire life. I couldn't be responsible for taking everything important away from her.

I simply wasn't worth it.

I sighed as I turned her decrepit excuse for a vehicle off the highway and onto our long, private drive, proceeding slowly enough to keep the ride smooth while wishing desperately that I had not changed the subject. “Not tonight, Bella. Please,” I begged her, not wishing to sour the enjoyment of her party with yet another argument over her desire for immortality.

Bella pouted, glancing at me sideways as I turned onto our long drive. “Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want,” she challenged.

At first I thought she was teasing. Then I glanced at her expression and sucked in a quick breath through my set teeth. Bella was absolutely, completely serious.

Damn it!

Not tonight.

A deep, angry growl burst from me before I could stifle the violence of my reaction. How dare Alice even consider giving into Bella's wrong desire to become like us? Why in the world would my sister even remotely consider betraying me in this manner? How could she even think about taking away Bella's human life and her pure, perfect soul?

No! It would not be! I vowed, another growl escaping, hopefully too low for Bella's human hearing.

But I rapidly became aware of Bella's glare after my outburst; my growl had not frightened her the way it would a normal human. If anything, she seemed even more determined to get her way...in any manner she could.

I took a long look at the beautiful, stubborn, wonderful girl who had given me her heart so unreservedly. Her color was high with anger, her eyes bright and focused on me unblinkingly. She had no fear of a spirited confrontation with a vampire...no fear at all.

She was amazing.

I turned my eyes back to the curving drive to our home even though it was not necessary for me to watch my driving. “This isn't going to be your last birthday, Bella,” I declared quietly.

I could feel her eyes boring into my face as she objected, “That's not fair!” If I hadn't been so angry, I might have smiled at the childishness and innocence of Bella's response.

But she was right. No, it wasn't fair, I agreed silently, my teeth set together. It was not fair that this perfect human girl had to give up anything—everything—just to be with me.

It was the worst decision she could possibly make.

And I valued her life far too much to allow her to waste it on me.

As I parked her truck in front of our home, I had to suppress a smile at Bella's dramatic groan when she spied the pink roses and lanterns, the entire effect courtesy of my sister, decorating our front porch and steps.

Laughing at Bella's silliness in inquiring if I would appear in the photos she had taken tonight with her new camera, I had whisked her into the house and into the welcoming arms of Alice, Emmett, Esme, and Carlisle, Jasper keeping a careful distance while Rosalie still sulked in the chair farthest from the front door.