14 | Serene

I followed behind Freya and I watched as her small hips swung to a fro as she waltzed around the rooms. For the small "box" that seemed to sit in the middle of the darkness, the sleeping chambers seemed to a lot bigger than the little family room.

"This way," Freya's smooth tone chimed out as she slipped past a doorway and disappeared. I padded quickly behind her and stumbled into a small space of a restroom. "Try not to get too much blood everywhere seeing as we all pretty much share this one." Freya's lavender eyes landed on mine.

I looked at the yellowing walls and the small shower with no cover. A toilet and single sink adjacent to the tiny square in the corner. "There's only one bathroom?" I inquired and she draped a hand on her hip.

"What?" She snarled. "The princess thinks she needs her own throne to crap in?"

My mouth fell open and then closed tightly. "I'll have you know that I'm not a princess." I snapped as I stepped closer to her. "I went from living in the middle of the no where to being chased by a Reaper and falling in love with him--"

"You love a Reaper!" Her voice peaked in interest as her body language changed from hostile to...interested.

I stepped back. "I guess. I--I don't know. Weston told me some things that--"

"Prince Weston?" Freya's mouth dropped open. "You met the guy who sets up your doom?" She started to laugh hysterically.

"What do you mean?" Panic settled in my chest.

Freya stood up slowly from her bent over position, hand on her trembling gut. "Prince Weston is the one who's ordered to plan our demise as slowly as possible." She explained. Her eyes darkened to a deep blue and I stammered back. "The damn man's too weak enough to even draw blood himself."

"That's not true." I found myself defending him and her eyes shifted in a whirl pool of reds and blues. "He--he saved my life. As the Reaper did."

All emotions stopped in her face as she stared at me suddenly in shock. But she recovered quickly and flipped her hair over her shoulder. "Well aren't you special." She rolled her eyes and stepped around me.

"What made you paint him in such a way?" I asked and realized I'd spoken like a women of high status.

Freya turned on her heels and looked at me through drooped eyelids. "You could say I drowned a couple of Faeries in my time." At my raised eyebrow, she straightened her back and sighed. "If you put me in water I'll change." Her meaning was so vague but I understood.

Letting my jaw drop slightly, I looked at her through a lens of curiosity. "You're a mermaid?

She instantly burst into laughter and I cringed. "No!" She shrilled through her laughter. "I'm a Nymph. Total difference." She waved a hand in the air. "Mermaids are for beauty and horny sailors. Nymphs are the real deal." She puffed up her chest and I gave her an oh really? look.

"I didn't know any of this could have existed." I let her know and she looked at me incredulously.

"You can't be serious." She stated. "You didn't even have a clue that any of this existed?"

I shook my head. "My mom always called them villager tales and not to believe them."

Freya snorted. "She must have never met a Faerie then."

I looked at her coldly. "She did. And that's what's gotten me into this mess."

Freya turned her eyes on me and I almost detected...respect? "I understand." She said softly before patting her hand on the door frame. "Take a shower and I'll have Emma lay your clothes on my bed, just out here." She pointed her thumb out over her shoulder.