| 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟸

Start from the beginning

DAWN

Slowly, the world came back to me. I blinked, trying to get a good view of my surroundings. I was lying on a bed, soft and warm. Carefully I tried to sit up and was surprised to feel my shoulder and arm didn't hurt at all, not even so much as a dull ache lingering.

My eyes studied my arm and I barely recognized what I saw. My skin was scrubbed clean, turning it into a blushing pink. A long white scar covered my elbow. My shoulder was just the same, a big scar drawing a line on my skin. My fingers traced the lines, wondering how it was possible that I wasn't even feeling stiff.

The sound of a door opening broke me out of my thoughts. I looked up and saw the room I was in, blue walls, one bed, a dresser, a shower and a mirror. In the door opening stood the same woman who'd brought me to my room yesterday. The same fake smile covering her face.

'How are you feeling?' She asked.

I opened my mouth, only to close it again. Memories from last night came floating back. I looked up at her, anger flaring alive in my stomach. 'Did you kidnap me?' I asked. 

Her fake smile didn't falter. 'Dawn, you're safe, we only took you somewhere we could perform the surgery.' 

I simply stared at her, a siren blaring loudly through my mind.

'How about this, you go take a shower and dress up and then I will take you to Doctor Janson. He will tell you everything you want to know,' she said.

I took a deep breath, knowing that refusing would probably be pointless. 'Alright, but can I go back to my friends after?' 

Her smile never faltered and it made me want to scratch it off her face. 'When Dr. Janson thinks it's right to discharge you we will return you to your friends.' Then she turned and left the room.

That wasn't much of an answer, but it was the only thing I was gonna get. A frustrated sigh left my lips and I allowed myself a moment to hate her, before I straightened my shoulders and got out of bed. Though my arm was clean, the rest of my body was still filthy and I realized that perhaps a shower didn't sound so bad after all.

I got undressed and with every movement I couldn't help but marvel at my arm, feeling as good as new. I stepped beneath the warm shower and a sigh of pure bliss left my lips.

I washed all the filth from my body, watching as the grime of the Maze disappeared down the drain. Then I moved on to my hair, which provided an entirely new struggle. There were so many knots that I considered multiple times to just ask for a haircut later, but eventually I managed and my brown curls looked like their old selves again.

It was such a long time ago I had a good shower, without having to worry that at any moment a boy could walk in and so I let myself enjoy it fully. Even if I wasn't completely at ease yet, worrying about it now would only take away from the pleasure of the feeling of warm water on my skin.

By the time I finally turned off the water and dried myself it felt as though I'd been beneath the stream for at least an hour. My new clothes were waiting for me on the dresser. Dark blue jeans, and a simple white shirt. Knee high black boots and the thing I was probably most happy with: A new bra.

As soon as I was done the door of the room opened and the woman entered again. For one terrible second the thought of a camera being attached somewhere flashed through me, but I wasn't given time to properly consider it as the woman led me out of the room immediately.