"You okay Jaynie?"

"Yes." I said it automatically, but my best friend knew me better. Her dark brown eyes filled with compassion.

"It was going to happen, sooner or later, you knew that. Too many folks around here are still afraid, still angry. They still talk about what happened to Sam and Bobby when we were younger...it's going to take time to forget."

"She's my sister..." my voice broke and I sucked in a deep breath as hot moisture pushed at my eyes. I hadn't expected Rose's questioning to hurt so deeply. Nettie slipped her hand into mine, squeezing.

"She loves you Jaynie, don't worry about that."

"I know that, but...what if she becomes ashamed of me? You can love someone and be embarrassed over them too."

"It won't be that way, Jaynie. Rose is smart, and you're a good example. There isn't anything you've done to make her question your Indian blood-" The look on my face made her fumble a little. "Well, you know what I mean."

"I just worry."

"You're thinking about your dream?" Nettie knew me so well. "It's just a nightmare, Jaynie. It ain't real."

"About that," I slowed my step a little, letting the younger ones move farther ahead of us. "Something happened this morning-"

"Oh yes!" her cry was hushed as she cast a furtive glance at the children. "What was it?"

"Stalking Elk came to me," I murmured softly, watching Nettie's eyes widen. "He is the Medicine Man of Wind Runner's tribe. He wants to aid me on a vision quest, to find my true path in life."

"Vision quest..." her voice was hushed with awe. "What does that mean, Jaynie?"

"I am not really certain," I answered honestly. "It is a ritual, a rite of passage to allow the spirits to speak to you, to reveal what your future holds."

"Do you believe in that stuff?"

"I am not certain," I said again, slightly guilty for admitting such a thing. "It is a powerful custom among my people, but the whites..."

"You tell your ma?" I shook my head, to which she added. "Frank?"

"I will...he will want to know, and I would have him with me." Pausing for a second, I shook my head, expelling my breath suddenly. "I am a little afraid Nettie...I don't know what to expect."

"You don't have do it, Jaynie," her reminder was simple, forcing a smile to my lips as she grinned. "Just because you're part Indian, you don't have to do what they do."

"You always know what to say, Nettie. Why is that?"

"Easy," her shoulder bumped into mine playfully. "You always assume you're full Indian. All I do is remind you that you're not."

I had to laugh at that, and she giggled softly. I told her about the reappearance of Al Baily and Toby Whitney in my life, and the events of the morning, and by then we had reached the break in our path. Hugging me tightly Nettie promised to talk soon and said goodbye, tickling Rose under the chin before turning for home. My little sister was full of energy and raced ahead, forcing me to hurry just to keep her in sight. Her startled cry added speed to my pace, and I crested the gentle slope to find her cringing back from a rearing horse and rider.

"Watch out!" my shout made the rider jerk toward me, and I met the hard stare of Al Baily.

"You," it was an ugly sound snarled between cracked lips. He glared at me. "Keep your whelp away from me."

"That is my sister!" Snapping the words at him, I felt the heat of fury rising inside me. "You treat her with respect, Al Baily!"

"Sister...huh." He dismissed Rose with a glance. "Just stay outta my way...squaw."