Two

The wagon train moved along without mishap for another two weeks, then when trouble struck, it struck hard and fast.

We were fording a river, one wagon at a time, and the water was swift and a little deeper than normal. Nine wagons made it across safely, but the tenth hit disaster. One of the oxen slipped on the wet stones and went down, causing panic amongst the rest of the team. They began to thrash and jump in the harnesses and that upset the wagon and it spilled over on its side, taking the three people inside with it. I was watching silently from the near shore, our wagon next in line. The current swept little Kerry Springer from the wagon and she was gone in less than five seconds, pulled beneath the surface and carried downriver before anyone could help her.

Evie Springer grabbed desperately at a rope tossed to her, but as she let go of the wagon and was being pulled to the far side she suddenly gasped and disappeared from sight. The rope sank beneath the surface with her, taut for a moment, the men pulling fiercely at it. It came loose with a sudden snap, but Evie was gone. By then four men on horseback had carefully reached the wagon and gotten out Adam, who'd broken his leg but had retained his grip on the wagon and the reins. They managed to get the wagon righted and the oxen eagerly strained in their harnesses to reach the bank, but more than half its contents were lost.

Our wagon went across next, Frank's hands on the reins calm and sure. Mamma sat stiff at his side, and I was in the back, looking down at the rushing water. Once the rest of our group was across, the wagon master took stock of the damage and Mister Garner, who knew something of medicine, set Adam Springer's leg. It was decided to make camp half a mile from the river while we recovered, and a group of six men went out to hunt fresh meat. A small herd of buffalo had been seen grazing nearby. Our camp waited restlessly for the hunters to return and we all heard the echo of gunfire signaling they'd found the animals. A long while later they returned, but not unscathed.

A horse had been gored and killed by an old cantankerous bull, and the rider had gone down right in front of the beast. He'd been trampled and killed, but before he died that old bull had charged head first at High Pearson. Though he'd lived, High's horse had not, and Mister Pearson suffered a broken arm and some cracked ribs.

It was quiet in the camp, the feeling of doom settling over everyone. Voices were hushed, and there was no laughter from the children, no songs from the men. Even Mamma, who normally hummed as she cooked, was silent. I helped her make stew and mixed together dough for biscuits, then while she tended that I put together a pot of coffee. Frank appeared from the gathering shadows, his face grave.

"There's some talk happening of turning back Jenny." He took off his hat and ran a stiff hand through his hair. "They figure we've some bad luck running against us."

"What do you want to do Frank?" Mamma looked at him, her face still and quiet.

Frank dropped to a seat on the tongue of the wagon turning his hat in his hands.

"I've nothing to go back to," he said softly, glancing up at Mamma, then over to me. "I figured to make a new life, and turning tail now is not going to make that happen. But I got you and Jaynie to think about,"

"We're going with you Frank wherever you decide to go." Mamma's voice was firm. "We're not afraid of the land, or its dangers. If you want to keep going, so do we."

"Jenny-" he started, but cut off quickly. It was no good arguing with Mamma.

Once she'd set her mind to something, she got her way. Only four months married, and Frank Colter knew enough to cut and run from a losing fight.

"What about you Jaynie?" His gray eyes found mine and held. "Do you want to keep going?"

It was the first time he'd asked for my opinion and I was surprised, and despite myself, pleased. I lifted my chin proudly.