#5: Laughter

11 Reasons Why

 © Bree Stonefield, 2013

5. Laughter

His laugh was a deep chuckle, low from his throat. It vibrated through his chest, bubbling out like a flood. His lips sometimes would still be closed when he laughed, just a bit pursed to keep him from bursting into a loud laugh. And when he laughed hard, his eyes would close, his eyes would be thrown backwards and he would laugh heartily. Sometimes he would even bend down and clutch at his stomach.

No, his laugh was not musical, but to her ears, as cheesy as it was, it still sounded like melody.

Last week of February, 2011

"It's not even that funny!" I huffed, crossing my arms over my chest angrily while Grant just kept snickering quietly, a hand over his mouth to stifle his laugh. "Stop that!" I shoved his shoulder with a glare.

                "I can't." His voice was shaky, a little bit muffled. He bit his lips and closed his eyes, concentrating not to laugh. He cracked up for a second. "It's just... I just... I can't."

                "C'mon, Grant," I rubbed at my temples. "I knew it was a bad idea to tell you this. Why don't I ever listen to my heart?" I mumbled.

                "Grace..." Grant shook his head rapidly, ducking his head and throwing his upper arm over his mouth. I was sure he was biting it to keep him from laughing. He let go of his arm. "I..." He put it over his mouth again, and then started laughing in his deep, low chuckle.

                I groaned, burying my face into my hands. I felt heat finally rushing to my cheeks. "Stopitstopitstopit," I mumbled. "Shut up. Not funny."

                "But it is," he said, choking at his own breath. "You... you said a bad word to your US History teacher? That's... that's g-gotta be the f-funniest... thing... ever."

                "I got myself in detention that made me had to cancel our date yesterday. It's not freaking funny!"

                "It is! You've gotta be, like, the student with the cleanest reputation there!"

                "Apparently I'm not," I muttered moodily. "Come on. I've got yelled at, got myself in my first detention, and then got to tell my parents who will surely be crazy mad at me. They might ground me for life now. Thank God they're both still having their 'alone time' overseas and turned off their phones until next week. I would've been dead by now."

                "And that's what makes it funny!" he told me, still laughing. That jerk. "You've been such a good girl for too damn long, it's about time you finally cross the line, Al!"

                "I don't want to cross the line!" I exclaimed exasperatedly, earning a loud, irritated "shush!" from some lady who sat at the desk across the room. "It's really terrible. I've behaved like a—"

                "Like a badass," he cut me off. Grant then paused for a while, taking a deep breath and then sighing heavily. "God, I should've been there. Shoulda seen the look on the old man's face. He must have been humiliated."

                "Yeah, you should've," I rolled my eyes. "He looked like a freaking tomato, waiting to explode and all."

                "What'd you even say to him, huh?" he said, smirking madly at me.