16. Snape Lets Slip

Today was exhausting. I didn't get a chance to go to the library because I was trying to catch up on work. I have to go to detention after dinner, so I'm trying to drag it out as long as I can. I didn't speak to Draco at all today. On the plus side my bruise has faded a lot. It's now yellowish and it doesn't hurt unless I poke it.

Nearly everyone has left dinner now, I don't think I can put it off any longer. Wish me luck...

"Enter."

I push Snape's door open and walk inside. He does glance up from the pile of parchment he's looking over. I wait in the door way, wondering if he'll just make me stand here for a few hours.

After a few minutes he looks up.

"Miss Turner," he says, "sit."

He gestures to the desk set up directly in front of his. I sit down and wait. He regards me coolly, twirling his quill between his fingers.

"You will be cleaning cauldrons," he says finally, "there is a pile over there. Once you have finished, I will inspect them and if they are up to scratch, you may go."

I try not to show my relief. Cleaning cauldrons isn't so bad. I know a few spells that will help-

"You will use no magic," Snape adds.

That's okay, I can do that, no problems.

That's when I see what's inside them. It looks like someone has been boiling animals in there. Once is full of slime with an eyeball floating in it. And the smell! I nearly vomit.

Snape hands me some rags, a scrubbing brush and two buckets, one empty and one full of hot, soapy water.

"Enjoy," he smirks, returning to his desk. I sigh and roll up my sleeves. I start by emptying any left over liquid/slime into the empty bucket. As it filled up it would empty magically. Then I start to scrub.

Hours later the scrubbing brush is useless and only two of the fifteen cauldrons are clean. This is impossible. I'm sorely tempted to use magic, even if I just use it to fix the scrubbing brush. Snape is at his desk. I lie a cauldron on the ground so that the opening is facing towards me and away from him. I put the brush inside it and carefully pull out my wand. I use the rags to cover up the opening and slip my wand inside.

"Reparo," I whisper. There's a small flash and I tuck my wand away and continue scrubbing. The I see black shoes appear. I stop scrubbing and look up. Snape is towering over me, sneering.

"You thought I wouldn't notice?" he asks.

"I only fixed the brush," I say quickly.

"Stand up," he snaps. Even standing he towers over me.

"Your arrogance astounds me," he sneers, "just like your father. Oh, yes. James Potter was exceedingly arrogant. It appears not only his son inherited his gift. Clearly, he gave you something other than his eyes."

"James Potter?" I ask quietly, astonished, "he... He was my father?"

Snape told me not to tell anyone. Maybe he's wrong... But if he's not, then Harry is my brother. My twin brother. This can't be right. It just can't be! I can't tell anyone. If any of Mum and Dad's friends find out, they'll kill me! And Draco will never talk to me again!

Besides, it doesn't make any sense. The Dark Lord would have killed me when I was a baby. The more I think about it, the crazier it seems. Snape was probably just trying to upset me. At least it got me out of the rest of my detentions.