Chapter 12: Healed

Ethan opened his eyes but quickly shut them from the sunlight beaming in from the window.  He rubbed his eyes to help adjust and try to rub away the exhaustion he felt in his body.  His muscles were sore and his bones ached.  He could feel that his chest was now wrapped over his new scars. He slowly sat himself up and looked around the school clinic.  He could see Dawn, Eugene, and Kai in the three beds to his left. He tried to remember how he got back here.   He remembered the battle in the tomb, the reviving of Gernoch, Teras’ escape, and walking to find Shadoe.   After that everything was blank.  He had no memory of finding Shadoe or returning to Bridgestone.   He rubbed his head trying to force the memories out.

“You know you’re going to be a terrible king if you can’t keep the promises you make.” Shadoe’s voice came.  Ethan whipped his head to the side to see her sitting casually in the next bed reading a magazine.  She was bandaged just as much as Ethan was, possibly more.

“You’re all right!”  Ethan went to jump out of bed but a pain shot through his chest and he sat back down. 

“More or less.” Shadoe shrugged. “Rampages have a pretty firm bite though. Not to mention the sting of their tails.”  She motioned to the large wrapping on her shoulder from where the Rampages had dragged her off.  “They tell me I need to wait longer but I feel perfectly fine.”  She sat up and walked over to his bed and sat down.  Ethan could tell by the look in her eyes that she was not happy with him.

“Shadoe, I’m sorry.” He looked down.

“What did we agree?”

“I had to, Shadoe, I couldn’t just leave you.” He argued.

“What did we agree?”  She asked more firmly. Ethan sighed.

“That I wouldn’t risk my life for you.”

“Because,” She waited for him to continue.

“Because my life is too important.”  He grumbled.

“That’s right.” She folded her arms.  “Don’t ever do that again.” She turned away.

“I’m not going to promise that.”  He huffed.

“Excuse me? Did you lose your memory from what happened?  You almost died!  He almost won!”

“But I didn’t and he didn’t.  I don’t think you have the right to tell me what to do, Shadoe.  If I want to go save you from being killed I’m going to go save you and there’s nothing you can do about it!”

“Is that an order, your highness?”  Shadoe mockingly bowed to him.

“No, it’s a promise.”  Shadoe looked up at him. “A promise I intend to always keep.  Not just for you or for Dawn or Eugene or Kai but for everyone that I care about.  It is my duty to my people to protect them from any evil that dares to threaten our happiness.”  He confidently exclaimed.  He expected Shadoe to argue with him but a smirk came across her face.

“I was wrong.” She stood back up.  “You will make a good king.”  She patted him on the head when suddenly Dawn, Eugene, and Kai began to stir.  Once they had rubbed the exhaustion out of their eyes they focused to see Ethan and Shadoe. 

“Shadoe!” They cried and rushed out of their beds.  Dawn and Eugene grabbed her in a tight embrace while Kai casually walked up to her. 

“We were so worried about you!”  Dawn cried into Shadoe’s shoulder. 

“How did you get out?  Did that agent really save you?”  Eugene squeezed tightly.

“Eugene, can’t breathe.” Shadoe struggled and they both let go apologetically.   Shadoe looked up at Kai with a displeased expression.  “Surprised you showed up to save me.” She folded her arms.  “What did they do? Pay you?”