Chapter 11: The Troll King

Everything had gone wrong.  Ethan thought how stupid they were to have thought they could rescue Shadoe.   He looked down at her unconscious body in the corner of the room.  He could see his three companions being held back by the three distorted brothers and worse of all he could see Teras and Nullens standing over the stone statue of the Troll King Gernoch.   Sitting next to them was a gigantic cauldron brewing the potion that could destroy the world as they knew it: Osiris' Tears.  Ethan wanted to run over and tip the cauldron over if it weren't for the restraints of a large circular rig he had been tied to.   Nullens walked over with a disturbing grin and pulled out a knife.  Ethan gasped as he thought this would be the end for him but instead, Nullens cut through the fabric of his class tournament uniform and ripped it from his flesh revealing his chest. 

"It's not time yet, highness, but when the time comes I will gut you like a fish."  He giggled.

"Teras!" Ethan shouted but Teras did not look up from his brewing.  "Teras! You can't do this!  It won't work!"

"I think you'll find it will, highness. Now that I have you here it will work perfectly." 

"No! Don't you understand what you're doing?  Bringing him back will be the end of you!"

"On the contrary, Gernoch and I have made quite a deal."  He rubbed his hands together devilishly.

"He's a troll! Trolls don't keep their promises!" 

"As a matter of fact, trolls have an outstanding record for honesty and loyalty to their words.  It's men that one must not trust."  Teras looked back into the potion.

"How do you know him?  I was under the impression that trolls don't take warlocks even as prisoner let alone friends."

"It's a long story, really.  It would bore you."  Teras playfully waved his hand.

"Come on, we have to talk about something while we wait for that potion to finish brewing."  Teras looked up at him and shrugged.

"I suppose it would kill the time before it's time to kill you."  He smirked and Ethan rolled his eyes.  "Originally, I was a student just like you.  I even had friends.  Friends that betrayed me." He said bitterly.  "Then my stupid teacher recruited us for a mission to defeat the Troll King.   I thought that perhaps I could make myself a hero but I was wrong."  He glared up at him.  "They betrayed me and in turn I betrayed them.  I went to the Troll King by myself and when I did," He looked down at his friend in the statue.  "He tried to kill me. But my power was so great that he couldn't.  And then he saw it.  He saw that I was special.  That I was different from other warlocks.  He tested me of course but then he informed me of my heritage.  You see highness, I am the last of my kind."

"What kind is that?"

"The true superior kind."  He chuckled.  "So he enlisted my help but tragedy struck when your little girlfriend's parents," he glared over at Dawn, "and the rest of my classmates joined that pathetic fairy prince.  They were foolish though.  If they had destroyed him I wouldn't be here today to bring him back."  He looked up at him with the look of pride and a sadistic pleasure in his eyes.  "You know it is such a pity that you won't live to see them all rise."

"I'm not going to let you do this, Teras."  Ethan gritted his teeth. 

"What position do you think you're in to say such things, highness?"  Teras smirked and walked up to hold Ethan's chin tightly.  "You may be a prince, but I'm the only one with true power here."

"You're nothing but a common criminal."  Ethan growled.

"Actually, you'll find that I'm quite unique."  He slapped Ethan's face playfully.  "Almost ready."  Teras chuckled with cruel joy.