Chapter 5: Scrying for Friends

Dawn and Ethan sat together on the sub with Deryk.  It appeared Deryk's lies about what Eugene had said about Dawn behind her back had gotten to her.  He knew he was just in the next room over but he felt bad that in his place was Deryk and Ethan didn't trust Deryk for a second. 

              "Thanks for letting me stay with you, Dawn."  Ethan thanked her again and Dawn smiled.

              "It's my pleasure.  I'm sure the Woodlands would be happy to see you again."

              "As long as we don't have any more cake fights."  Ethan laughed.

              "Cake fights?" Deryk asked with a raised eyebrow.

              "At my birthday party there was a bit of a food fight."  Dawn laughed at the memory.  "David was ok with it but Laura, well she's a little bit germaphobic and OCD." 

              "I see." Deryk laughed.  "Well perhaps I can come over sometime during break and we can have our own little food fight.  I'm thinking pudding."

              "Like that time in sixth grade! Ellen was so made we got it all in her hair!"  Dawn and Deryk began reminiscing again about their old school days together.  Ethan tried to remain cool attempting not to let the stories of their long childhood together bother him.  He kept reminding himself that he would have Dawn all to himself at her house.  There would be plenty of time for their own shenanigans and re-bonding.

              He was right, too.  When they arrived back at the boarding platforms the Woodlands welcomed him to their home with open arms and they enjoyed a pleasant dinner together.  Dawn smiled her genuine smiles and none of the ones that were forced through the confusion and complication first semester had brought on.  Ethan was glad that Mr. Slithers had ordered him to stay here.  He was certain that if he didn't take this time now to help explain everything to Dawn that things might continue to go on their downward spiral once they returned to school. 

              That night, Ethan sat with Dawn on the roof of the Woodland's house watching the stars.  They lay on a blanket they had put out on the shingles.  For a while they were silent until Dawn finally sighed.

              "Things feel really messed up, don't they?"

              "Yeah, they do." Ethan laughed.

              "I just wish things could go back to the way things were.  Everything just got so complicated."

              "We could un-complicate them." Ethan sat up and looked down to her.

              "How?"

              "Well you could listen to your heart more."

              "Ethan."  Dawn frowned. "I know you don't like Deryk but he's my friend."

              "This isn't about Deryk.  This is about Eugene and Shadoe and Kai," He looked away.  "And us."

              "Ethan."  She whispered in a solemn tone.

              "No, really Dawn.  We're your friends.  We were the ones who were there for you when things got bad and we always will be but you've been pushing us away.  Do you really think Eugene said those things about you?  Kai is a little believable but he is your friend even if I don't care much for him either." Ethan admitted with a smile making Dawn laugh. 

              "Alright, you're probably right about them.  But not Shadoe.  I've tried to talk to her, I've tried to mend it but every time I do she throws it back in my face."