Chapter 2: Open Spots

The next day, the Woodlands took the five transfers to the National Foundation Festival in the city.  The event was huge and spanned over ten blocks of tents, stages, shops, and food stalls.  There were street performers lining at every corner.  Eugene was running around like a child who had eaten twenty pixie sticks.  Kai and Shadoe maintained a friendly banter while Ethan awkwardly followed Dawn around as he debated the thoughts in his head from his friends and his own feelings. 

              "Dawn, Shadoe, you two girls come with me." Mrs. Woodland grabbed the two girls and dragged them away from the boys who watched in confusion as they disappeared into the crowd and ran into a stall selling clothing.  

              "Where are they going?"  Eugene asked. 

              "It's times like these, boys, that it's best not to question the womenfolk."  Mr. Woodland explained and they all nodded in agreement.   "Come on, they'll probably be hungry when they come out of that stall."  Mr. Woodland directed them to a food stall.   Eugene went to assist Mr. Woodland in purchasing the food while Kai and Ethan dawdled by an apothecary of humorous potions.

              "Check this out," Kai showed him a bottle.  "It's to make people's noses brown each time they start sucking up to someone.  I bet if we gave some to Eugene his would never be pale again."  He laughed and put it aside. 

              "Oh here's one," Ethan held up a green bottle.  "This one will make one grow the size of their ego.  Let's see how big you can get."  He went to hand Kai the bottle.

              "Ha ha, very funny."  Kai laughed.   As Ethan put the bottle back he couldn't help but overhear a conversation between two young men nearby.

              "Hey, did you hear?! The Royal Family is going to be here to light the first firework!" 

              "Yeah, but don't they do that every year?"    The other man scoffed. 

              "Yes but not with the Crown Prince.  It's the first time he'll be shown to the public."  Ethan's eyes immediately widened in confusion. 

              "No way! I wonder why they've kept him a secret all these years.  You don't suppose it's because he's really ugly and they wanted to hide his hideous face from the public!"  The man cackled.

              "I heard it was because he's actually crippled."   Ethan huffed in anger as he listened to their conversation.

              "Well, I guess we'll find out tonight." The two men walked away laughing. 

              "What are you doing?"  Kai came up to Ethan.

              "Oh, I heard the Crown Prince is going to be at the fireworks tonight."

              "Really? That's a shock."  Kai said in surprise.

              "Yeah, some guys were talking about it.  What do you think of the Crown Prince?" Ethan inquired.

              "I don't know, I can't really think much about someone I've never seen."

              "Well, what do you think he's like? Why have they hidden him for so long?" He probed.

              "I'm sure there's a good reason for it. Why? What do you think?"  Kai asked eyeing him.

              "Well, I think it was for his protection.  He's their only child so it's natural they want to protect the line, right?"