Chapter 9: Rampage

"It's like they enjoying torturing us." Shadoe said as she looked in the mirror outside the changing tents of the Class Tournament.  Dawn and Ethan stood at her sides in equal displeasure of the yellow and teal uniforms of the second years.  "Can we go back to the purple and green?  I swear I won't complain if we have the purple and green." 

"We have to wear these. These are the second year uniforms.  You saw them last year, you knew this is what we would get."  Ethan said examining the yellow and teal half-cape draped on his shoulders.

"Yeah, I didn't say I would like getting them though."  Shadoe muttered and turned away. 

              "It's really not that bad after a while, you kind of get used to it."  Dawn tried to say as she examined her skirt earning disbelieving looks from her companions.  "Yeah you're right, these are ugly."  She folded her arms trying to hide herself but nothing could hide their radioactively bright uniforms from anyone.   Mr. Watkins called for everyone to gather for the meeting for the first game. 

"Alright, thanks to last year's fiasco apparently it is no longer legal to ride double in broom tag." 

"Yes!"  Kai and Shadoe both exclaimed happily.

              "So this year we'll be going in waves." 

"Really?"  Shadoe said in disapproval.

              "Hush," Mr. Watkins silenced her. "I've listed your names on the wave list here." He pointed to the chalk board.  Ethan saw that his name was in the third and last wave. 

"Of course, wouldn't want pretty boy to get hurt in the first wave."  Daniel scoffed and all eyes turned to Ethan.  Ethan looked around and could feel the ice cold glares from his classmates who had yet to forgive him.

"Hey, this is broom tag, not war.  Lighten up, children."  Shadoe defended.

"I'll go in the first wave."  Ethan quickly interrupted. 

"Are you sure?" Mr. Watkins asked and Ethan nodded his head.  "Ok, who wants to switch with him?" 

"I will." Deryk's voice came.  "I'll take the third."  He volunteered.  Ethan's eyes met with Deryk who gave him a bow of his head before looking away again.

"Very good, let's get in position."  He called and everyone moved to the sides of the courtyard walls to wait for the signal to be released.  Ethan moved to the front of the line to be first in the game.  Behind him stood Daniel who glared at him the entire time and behind him was Rosaline who wouldn't make eye contact.  He sighed and looked out at the crowd of spectators who had come to watch their children compete.  His eyes widened as he saw his own parents in the crowd.  They were not in their royal garb with servants and guards to protect him but they were rather plainly dressed.  They appeared just like any other parents waiting to see their child.  Ethan felt both happy to see them but at the same time angered that they had not come sooner.   

They listened as Principal Crane addressed the crowd and explained the rules of the tournament.  Everyone mounted their brooms as they waited for the signal.  Ethan could see the fifth year entrance directly opposite of their own.  They all looked fired up and ready to attack.  Ethan took a deep breath and shot out to the courtyard on his broom as soon as the horns blared. 

He dodged and ducked as the upperclassmen attempted to grab his flag on the end of his broom.  He couldn't focus on trying to steal anyone else's flag as they all seemed to be attacking him.  He nosedived to try and shake them but the fifth years were relentless.  Ethan could tell how well they were doing in the match as he had no time to check the scoreboards.  He looked around for his teammates when he suddenly realized what had happened.  He was the only second year in the arena.  The first wave hadn't followed him out and he was on his own.