Chapter 6: Blood

Ethan and Dawn were headed towards the fortune-telling room one evening after dinner.  Dawn had been taking extra lessons now with Ms. Danner and Shadoe after school.  While she was happy to be learning so much, it was obvious to anyone that she was feeling a little exhausted from their extensive lessons.  When they had approached Ms. Danner about it she couldn't have been happier and apparently had wanted to privately tutor Dawn since their first meeting but hadn't said anything because she hadn't felt Dawn was ready yet.  Ethan would occasionally sit in on the sessions and was amazed at how fast Dawn was improving with tarot, runes, and even her crystal ball work was becoming noteworthy in comparison to their classmates.  The Rimanis scrying was still difficult which Shadoe explained to being too detached in the relation to finding whatever it is she was looking for during the lesson.  Most of the lessons ended in an argument between the two but it didn't stop them from continuing the lessons.  In a way, Ethan thought it was a way for them to vent their frustration with each other while mending their relationship.  Ms. Danner had been kind enough to lend them the fortune-telling classroom for Shadoe's lesson and Eugene and Kai would often tag along to observe the lesson, much to Shadoe's dismay as she had agreed to only teach Dawn.   

              Everything appeared to be going well except for one loose end: Deryk.  Ever since they had returned from break Dawn had been avoiding Deryk and Ethan couldn't blame her.  While she had found exactly what Deryk has asked of her she was worried that she couldn't show him the contents from her promise with Agent Zero. Her attempts to avoid him had not gone unnoticed.  Deryk constantly tried to corner Dawn but Dawn would run the other way.  She even would hide with Rosaline's pack when leave the girl's dorm to avoid him and on one occasion, jumped out their window to avoid him hunting her down.  The only refuge they had from his presence were their nightly sessions with Ms. Danner or Shadoe. However, as these things happen, Deryk had finally discovered them and was waiting for them. 

              "Can we talk?"  He asked Dawn as they approached the door.  Dawn looked to Ethan and nodded his head before walking into the room, leaving Dawn with Deryk in the hall.   However, Ethan listened closely on the other side of the door with his ear pressed to listen to their conversation.  He hadn't realized Eugene and Kai were already in the room and quietly joined him to listen. 

              "Did I do something?" Deryk asked. "You've been avoiding me ever since we got back from break."

              "I know, I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to, it's just complicated."  Dawn said apprehensively.

              "Well what's going on? Can't you tell me?  Did you find the book?"

              "That's what's complicated.  I found the book and you were right, it's just I promised someone else never to make it." Dawn bit her lip.  "I was worried that if I showed it to you that you might want to make the potion."

              "Don't you?"

              "No," She sighed.  "It's not right.  It's not natural.  It defies the laws of nature."

              "Magic defies the laws of nature but we use it every day."  He argued.  Dawn empathetically looked up to him with a twist of emotions pushing and pulling her conscience and heart in two.  "Please, Dawn.   Maybe if I just see it I'll feel better.  You know me, I've never been one to keep up with stuff if it gets too hard." He tried to joke but anyone could see the anxiety in his eyes.

              "Deryk," Dawn sighed.

              "Please, Dawn." He begged and held her arms.  Dawn sighed and slowly took his hands off of her.