Chapter 2: Open Spots

Start from the beginning

              "Right."  Kai agreed and looked out to the busy festival.  "Whoa."  Ethan looked to where Kai's eyes were locked upon.  Walking towards them with Mrs. Woodland were Dawn and Shadoe.   Mrs. Woodland had bought them new clothes styled in matching fairy garments.   The girls wore thin purple and aquamarine skirts with a brown leather tank top that was patterned in leaves and decorative fairy symbols.  Flowers had been tied into a few braids that dangled down in their hair and glitter had been blown on to their faces.  On their backs were small transparent wings. Mrs. Woodland was beaming with pride while Dawn and Shadoe looked less than pleased to have been made into dress-up dolls.  Ethan and Kai stood speechless as they scanned them up and down.

              "Say anything and I swear I will punch you in the face."  Shadoe warned them.  Ethan and Kai looked at each other before pursing their lips together to prevent them from uttering a word. 

              "Wow! You look so pretty!"  Eugene squealed as he and Mr. Woodland came back with the food.  Shadoe glared at Eugene who shook in fear from her icy cold death stare. 

              "Don't you two look adorable?"  Mr. Woodland laughed. 

              "Aren't they?!" Mrs. Woodland grabbed the girls and squished them together like her own personal playthings. 

              "Kill me."  Shadoe muttered under her breath.  

              “Nah, that would ruin the fun of watching you suffer.”  Kai looked away trying to hold in his laughter making Shadoe glare at him.

              “Well I think you look very pretty.”  Ethan complimented Dawn who bashfully blushed.

              “It’s just like what Regina and I used to do for foundation day.”  Mrs. Woodland held them in another tight embrace. 

              “Thank you, Laura.” Dawn hugged her back while Shadoe rolled her eyes and thanked her reluctantly. 

              The group left to eat their food at the picnic site.  There were hundreds, perhaps thousands, of people sitting on blankets and dressed in various costumes for the festival.  Everyone was laughing and having a great time.  Mr. and Mrs. Woodland left the five transfers alone while they talked with a few old friends they had seen in the mass of people eating.  

              “So who’s excited for the fireworks? I know I am!”  Eugene jumped enthusiastically in his spot on the ground.

              “Meh, fireworks shmireworks.”  Shadoe said casually as she chomped down on a tortilla chip. 

              “Well I am.  The fireworks here are always spectacular.”  Dawn agreed with Eugene happily. 

              “Did you hear that the ENTIRE royal family is going to be here?”  Eugene sat up on his knees in excitement.  Ethan looked away.

              “Yeah, but it’s not a big deal.”  Kai said standing up.  “I’m bored, anyone want to play some waterball?”  He asked with a devilish smile.

              “I’m game.” Shadoe wiped the chip residue off of her hands and took off the fairy wings that Mrs. Woodland refused to let her and Dawn take off before.

              “It’s been so long since I’ve played waterball. Can I be the referee?”  Eugene asked looking terrified.

              “It’ll give us even teams.”  Ethan agreed as he, Dawn, Kai, and Shadoe gathered together.  They each put their right fist in the center of where they stood.