Poetic Proposal

Today was Legolas and I's three year anniversary as a couple, and so far the day had been amazing. An archery competition which I lost, meeting up with the remainder of the Fellowship and hanging out with them all day, and even a cute little walk along the forest paths of Mirkwood, which we were on now. "Hey, guess what?" He suddenly asks, taking my attention away from the stars.

"Yes?" I ask, a small smile creeping onto my face.

He smiles and scratches the back of his neck with his free hand before pulling a paper out of his pocket. "I-I, I g-got you a, um, I got you s-something..." He stutters out and shyly hands the paper over. I take it hesitantly and gaze at him curiously as I unfold it. The first thing I realize is that its in his hand writing.

"What's this?" I ask, smile broadening.

"W-well, I-I, um, j-just read it." He stutters, and its pretty obvious he's nervous. I gaze at him in speculation and begin to read. It read,

'Kas, my dearest, happy anniversary. You cannot fathom how deep my feelings for you run into my heart, and I believe... well, I believe you are my one. I cannot come up with better words than the following to ask you this, nor a better occasion to do so.

Please keep in mind that poetry is not my strong suit...

Black combat boots and, skinny jeans

Dark brown hair and eyes of, emerald green

The night I met you, it seemed to me

That you were the fantasy of my, wildest dreams

Pale white skin and, rosy cheeks

Grey sweat pants and, baggy T's

The night I met you, it seemed to me

That I had strayed into one of my, sweetest dreams

Laugh out loud and, smile wide

Joke around and, pretend to fly

The night my eyes found yours it was clear in mine

That you would complete my best dreams

So take this ring and, please say yes

To this insane and, crazy request

Now may your eyes meet mine on this starry night

Would you make my dreams, come to life?

Meleth, look up.'

Tears fill my eyes as I look up to see Legolas down on one knee, black box in his hand, all of our friends behind him. "Kas, my one and only love...will you...w-will you marry me?" he whispers almost inaudibly.

Tears that had been brimming spilled over and I launched myself into him, sobbing and laughing into his shoulder. I shout happily, "Yes, yes, for all of eternity yes!" and hug him closer as our friends cheer in the background. We stand like that for a moment before I notice the dampness of my hair. I pull away, a dopey grin plastered on my face as I see the tears streaming down his face to. Quickly I pull his face down to mine and kiss him deeply for a moment before pulling away and gazing back into his eyes.

"Legolas,

little leaf,

prince of mirkwood,

a king to - be.

Tell me my highness,

would you make me?

Kastine,

little rain shower

a noble maiden

A wilted flower

Tell me my prince and king to - be,

could you make me?

The petal to your leaf,

The princess to your prince

The nothing - special to your king to -be

Make me your one and only.

Please?"

He whispers, "Yes, of course. You are so creative with these things, I'm jealous." And pulls me into another hug. In that moment I realize; he is my one. And I am his.

And even after thirty years; we are each other's everything.