Exit and Return

Warning: Angst in the middle, but the story makes sense without that part, so you don't have to read it.

An army of ten-thousand orc descended upon the men and elves that defended the fortress of King Théoden - Helms Deep - as rain started to depart from the sky above. First just a small tinkling every few seconds, now a complete performance was being conducted, with the rain drops as the flutes, the thunder as the bass drums, and the lightning as the source of light for the show. 'The Orc's That Brought The Rain To The War.', 'Orc-astra.', 'Thunder Claps and Orc Neck Snaps.' ran the voice in my head as Legolas squeezed my hand in his own, the callouses on our fingers - mine from knives and his from bows - rubbing together softly. I chuckled lightly at my own humor and he gazed at me, a mask of determination covering his worry and fear. I simply smile and rub soothing circles on the back of his hand, laying my head against his shoulder and whispering, "My mind cracks me up."

He smiled - though fear and worry still held his eyes - and inquired, "Oh? What amuses you so?"

I chuckle again before whispering back, "Just thinking of ridiculous names for this battle when we win."

"Such as?" He asked, his eyes losing part of their negative emotions to allow amusement to fill them a bit.

My eyes lift to his as I say, "Only silly things such as, 'The Orc's That Brought The Rain To War.' , or perhaps 'Thunder Claps and Orc Neck Snaps.', or 'Orc-astra.', since the rain sounds a bit like music - maybe flutes or other things like that - and the thunder is like a drum, and the lightning like a spotlight on a stage."

He smirked down at me and asked, "Is that how you do it? Just think of the war that will rage in a few moments as a strange performance of some sort? Is that how you remain so optimistic?" His voice lowered to a murmer and he continued, voice shaking slightly, "Y/N, it is ten thousand trained warriors against, what? Farmers, stable boys, and a few hundred elves? We are doomed - we go to our deaths. There is no hope. None."

"Le-" I start, but he cut me off with a small kiss.

"I know I know. 'There is always hope'." He muses, earning a sharp poke in the side from my index finger.

I smile gently and wrap my arms around him, speaking quietly, "Legolas, you are right. There is no hope." He gazes at me in worry. I am never pessimistic, never, but it is only a ruse and I continue, "But that matters not, for we have each other, we have our friends, we have the help of the elves, we have every man we can get. We have not hope, we have faith. Faith that we will win this. That we can win this. Legolas, we can do this. We can, all of us. As long as we try, do not give in, do not surrender. We can win, and live on to our next battle! We can win, and hold each other in our arms again after. Legolas? We will get through this. Trust me."

His eyes are clouded, and he pulls me close, quieting a small sob in my hair. "What if we do not, though? What if we do n-" I cut him off by smashing my lips to his, a small tear mixing with the rain on my cheeks as I do. He had a valid argument, but I had a counter one.

"Then we will see each other in the halls of Mandos. Understood? I would not leave you for any reason, okay? I love you. I love you and I want to see you again and I better see you again because if I do not I will go on full rampage ent on those orcs and end up getting myself hurt. Or I will descend and become again, just to keep you happy. Okay?" I rant.

He chuckles and pulls out of the embrace, saying, "Okay." In return.

That is the last time I see him before I return.

***

He sobbed over me, a dead elleth laying on the floor, light in her eyes gone, flush of her cheeks paled - she was no more. Suddenly, he let out a heart wrenching, horrible, intimidating scream, followed by him standing and walking off pointedly, tears rolling down his emotionless face as he wrenched a weapon rack off the wall with another scream of frustration. It shattered - it resembled his heart. His everything, his love, his joy, gone. Gone. She was just...gone. He screamed again, punching the wall hard enough to split his knuckles. Then he slid down, his mask unraveling, his true hurt showing as he buried his head in his hands, curled up in a small ball, and sobbed.

He pulled at his hair and tugged his armor off of himself once alone in his room, flinging it every way possible. He destroyed a chair, picking it up and launching it into the wall with such fury, Sauron would run screaming like a little girl. He cursed the foul beasts that had taken his mother and now he beloved from him. He swore it to himself that he would avenge her. He would kill with fury. He would make them run. Then he would chase them until not one was left.

He would become a fury fuelled machine that would kill for joy and laugh as the foul beasts died a slow, painful death.

***

I returned - as promised - but later than I would have liked. The war was over, and everyone was walking into Frodo's room, glad to see him well. As soon as Sam entered, I appeared in the hall. Immediately I walked inside, glad to see the hobbit well. "Y/N!" He called excitedly, oblivious to the fact that I had just come back from the dead. Legolas' head snapped around so fast I am surprised it did not come clean off.

I smiled and waved at the gaping faces, giggling a small, "Nice to see you to."

Legolas ran up to me and held my pale face in his hands, examining my face and eyes. His mouth was agape and his eyes were wide with wonder and joy as he pulled me roughly into his chest. He sobbed hard into my hair and I sobbed into his chest. "I thought you left me!" He sobbed, gripping me tighter.

I laugh a little and say back, "I promised, you silly elf! Legolas Thrandulion, I would never leave you to face this world alone. I have watched this whole time. I love you. Oh, Legolas, how I have wanted to hold you again! I missed you so much!" I ended with a hicup, making us chuckle and hold each other tighter. He raised his head and brought mine up with a finger. He returned his hands to my cheeks and murmured, "I love you to. More than life itself." and brought my lips to his in a soft kiss. I smiled brightly and continued to kiss my elf, our lips moving in synchronization as cheers filled the room.

We pulled away from each other and just stared into each others bright, joyful, teary eyes as Sam whispered to Merry, "Uhm...what did we miss?"